Sergio Aguero - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep has never shrunk from getting rid of very good players if they don't suit his system or he thinks they're not buying into his ideas. And I wouldn't disagree that Aguero is a world class player. But I've been watching him this season and I'm not convinced he's right for a Pep team plus I'm not convinced about his overall team contribution.

How many times do we get the ball down to the goal-line, put a wicked ball in across the face of goal and our main striker is hanging around on the edge of the 18 yard box? I highlighted just two incidents on Wednesday when he was in a terrible position when we were on the attack, rendering himself completely useless.

If he's got the ball and has a sniff of goal he's usually deadly but if he's got the ball and hasn't got a sniff of goal then he usually surrenders possession, even if a team mate is well placed. That's why I'd rather have Suarez, who can see opportunities to play team-mates in, even if he can't score himself. How many times has Aguero created something out of nothing for another player to score? Not many that I can think of.

So I'd be very tempted to cash in while he has some value and take a huge profit, which is something else we rarely manage to do. I think we'd clear £70m or more in the books, which would fund one of MSN or more pertinently two players like Griezemann and Aubameyang. Sounds less daft when you put it that way doesn't it?

Agree on all the points about Aguero's play, it's obvious that Kun can't function properly in Pep's system right now. His scoring record is brilliant, but I expect him to be more productive in pressing and build-up play.
But let's not go too far stating he's worse than Griezmann. IMO the problem is that he's been used as a highly specialized goal machine since his teens, ruining other bits of his talent. When I watched him for the first time (more than 10 yrs ago), the first thought was 'the new Romario!'. I hope he still has the ability of a link-up player and Pep might help to unleash it. Even wooden Mandzukic became better all-around attacker under Pep, so it's too early to write Kun off.
The idea of cashing in on a player on this calibre doesn't sound realistic, agree with The slaughtered lamb. Think he'll play until he's replaced by a better forward or his contract expires.

Messi. Or Pep would anyhow.

That's the deal Pep would do, if it was feasible.

Can't think of anyone else.

Not complaining about Kun at all but Messi isnt an out an out striker. I do think Suarez fits the Pep role and is the busier player when compared with Kun, maybe a touch better and proven in the EPL. We are lucky to have Kun.....these players come with ego's and trouble and weve had none of that from Kun.

Pep has never shrunk from getting rid of very good players if they don't suit his system or he thinks they're not buying into his ideas. And I wouldn't disagree that Aguero is a world class player. But I've been watching him this season and I'm not convinced he's right for a Pep team plus I'm not convinced about his overall team contribution.

How many times do we get the ball down to the goal-line, put a wicked ball in across the face of goal and our main striker is hanging around on the edge of the 18 yard box? I highlighted just two incidents on Wednesday when he was in a terrible position when we were on the attack, rendering himself completely useless.

If he's got the ball and has a sniff of goal he's usually deadly but if he's got the ball and hasn't got a sniff of goal then he usually surrenders possession, even if a team mate is well placed. That's why I'd rather have Suarez, who can see opportunities to play team-mates in, even if he can't score himself. How many times has Aguero created something out of nothing for another player to score? Not many that I can think of.

So I'd be very tempted to cash in while he has some value and take a huge profit, which is something else we rarely manage to do. I think we'd clear £70m or more in the books, which would fund one of MSN or more pertinently two players like Griezemann and Aubameyang. Sounds less daft when you put it that way doesn't it?

I get your point, but in a way it is daft. Aguero has just extended his contract and that was under Peps' nose, so he must've somehow agreed to this. I.e. he sees Aguero in his plans, either short or long term. Imo Pep likes to heat up the pressure on Aguero. No wonder he wanted Aubameyang, but he failed to convince him or Dortmund just wouldn't wanna let go. Iheanacho can do it, but is not in the same class as Aguero yet, though making the right steps. Than there is Gabriel Jesus coming in and he will need to adjust. I'd say Aguero is not in a plan to be sold and I'm happy he isn't. But like Pep I like some real competition for him to find out if Aguero can step up. If he can and will there's not a braincell in me wanting him to be sold.

I don't think it does sound any less daft.
You don't sell your best players and counter the argument with "but we made a great profit".
Spurs said that after Bale, as did United after Ronaldo. "We can invest that money on 2 or 3 top players" etc.
It never works out that way. Sell your best players and you are always weaker as a result.
Had I said 2 years ago, just after he'd had an exceptional season for us, that we should sell Yaya, I'd have probably got the same reaction. But I think most of us now accept we should have done just that and cashed in on Yaya when he was at his peak.

Sergio is 28 and we've struggled to keep him fit for a full season. At some point we'll have to replace him and that might have to be sooner rather than later. Getting a premium price is better than getting nothing and if we can use the sale to get two players such as Griezemann, Aubameyang, Lacazette or that Celtic lad Dembele then in my view it's worth doing.

Not complaining about Kun at all but Messi isnt an out an out striker. I do think Suarez fits the Pep role and is the busier player when compared with Kun, maybe a touch better and proven in the EPL. We are lucky to have Kun.....these players come with ego's and trouble and weve had none of that from Kun.

I think Pep would just play without a striker if we had Messi & use Iheanacho etc as backup to change it.

But other than that, the idea of Griesmann etc as a replacement is a huge downgrade imo & isn't going to happen. Not fit to lace Aguero's boots. (The only striker who can even compare is Suarez imo & I'd rather have razor blades & wasps shoved up my arse than watch him in a City shirt).

I think the eventual replacement for Aguero will be either one of the kids like Jesus or another kid we haven't seen yet.

Had I said 2 years ago, just after he'd had an exceptional season for us, that we should sell Yaya, I'd have probably got the same reaction. But I think most of us now accept we should have done just that and cashed in on Yaya when he was at his peak.

Sergio is 28 and we've struggled to keep him fit for a full season. At some point we'll have to replace him and that might have to be sooner rather than later. Getting a premium price is better than getting nothing and if we can use the sale to get two players such as Griezemann, Aubameyang, Lacazette or that Celtic lad Dembele then in my view it's worth doing.

I don't think selling yaya a couple of years ago would be comparable.
Yaya has been a great player for city but at the same time he's always been a conundrum - certainly in europe - and I think Aguero is on the level above him in pretty much every respect.
He's the very best at what he does - an out and out goalmachine. If we put him up for sale tomorrow every club in world football would be fighting like dogs to sign him. There's a reason for that - there are very, very few players like him.
If city want to sign dembele then go ahead and take a punt. We don't need to sell arguably the most lethal striker in world football to finance it.

Must be fishing... adding in Dembele at the end is the giveaway for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.