Shakhtar Donetsk (h) pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I think Pep said he can play as RB, LB & CM and thats why he signed him.

Yeah he can but playing him at LB reduces the teams attacking threat down that side. He looks a fantastic player in most positions it's just that we couldn't get a back up LB in time or for the right amount of cash. Mendy getting injured has always been my worry for the season as it's the only position where we don't have a world class backup

Yeah he can but playing him at LB reduces the teams attacking threat down that side. He looks a fantastic player in most positions it's just that we couldn't get a back up LB in time or for the right amount of cash. Mendy getting injured has always been my worry for the season as it's the only position where we don't have a world class backup
Delph?

Think Pep will go tried and tested against Shakthar, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future against a mid-table or less PL team at home.

Delph looked decent cutting into midfield yesterday but he wasn't tested at all at left back defensively.

This Shakhtar team look a decent side considering they best Napoli at home in matchday one. Napoli from what I have seen look a very formidable team so this game could arguably be our biggest test of the season so far.

Portuguese referee Jorge Sousa (42) will take charge of Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League on Tuesday night.

Sousa has previously officiated one City game in Europe - a 2-0 home win over Timișoara in August 2010.

DKgQSatW0AAM18m.jpg:small

I think this might be close, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Aguero start with Jesus, at the expense of Bernado; thinking Mendy likely too soon to return, with 'The Business' back on the bench - if he's ready.

—————————— Ederson ——————————
———— Danilo —— Stones — Otamendi ——
Walker ————————————————— Delph
—————————— De Bruyne ————————
——— Bernardo —— Silva —— Sane ————
——————————— Jesus ——————————

Subs: Bravo, Kompany, Mangala, Fernandinho, Foden, Aguero, Sterling

I know this is fanciful, but this allows Kevin to play in a deeper position to take advantage of late runs of Sane and Bernardo, the hold up /combination play between Bernardo, Silva, and Jesus, and the overlaps from Walker and Delph. Kevin has already proven he can play in the CM role with cover from three CBs and Danilo looks very comfortable in that RCB role. This would also cover Otamendi’s weakness to pace, with Stone both stepping into midfield in attack and dropping to cover space Nico vacates in defense, with the wingbacks inverting when needed to keep things moving forward. If we establish a 2-0 lead we can sub off Kevin for Foden, Sane for Sterling, and Bernardo for Agüero, switching to a 4-1-3-2 by moving Danilo into the DM role.

It won’t happen... but I’d Love to see it (ideally with Mendy in for Delph and Kompany for Danilo, of course).

Think Pep will go tried and tested against Shakthar, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future against a mid-table or less PL team at home.

Delph looked decent cutting into midfield yesterday but he wasn't tested at all at left back defensively.

This Shakhtar team look a decent side considering they best Napoli at home in matchday one. Napoli from what I have seen look a very formidable team so this game could arguably be our biggest test of the season so far.
It wasn’t the same Napoli team as the one that has been dominating in Serie A but I do agree Shaktar cannot be underestimated, even at home.

I think when they played Napoli they had the benefit of probably being a little sharper due to being further into the season. They're a good team with good players but I'm not sure I expect them to travel well. I think we will win. We may go behind but I think we will win by a couple.

—————————— Ederson ——————————
———— Danilo —— Stones — Otamendi ——
Walker ————————————————— Delph
—————————— Yaya ————————
——— Bernardo —— De Bruyne —— Silva—
——————————— Jesus ——————————

Bring in Bravo, Fern, Sterling, Sane, Aguero, Foden, Kompany off bench as needed to give a break to KDB and Silva

I think the Chelsea game is more important and we need the best 11 fresh for that and the above team should be able to secure win at home against Shakhtar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.