Shay Facey

FantasyIreland

Our 20 yr old versatile EDS defender,and Captain,has been called up for the England u19's.

I like Shay,he has a winners mentality,never giving less than his best,i still hope he can break through here,my personal opinion being.....he should have been afforded an opportunity in the earlier cup games.

Anyway,all the best Shay.

Is he good enough to get game time for us? We can't go on playing Zabaleta in every game, he will be knackered come the final 5 games.

sam-caddick said:
Is he good enough to get game time for us? We can't go on playing Zabaleta in every game, he will be knackered come the final 5 games.

No. Not good enough going forwards. Doesn't use the ball well enough either.

Vieria has switched him to CB this season and he's improved a lot in that position.

I don't think he has the desired quality to reach the heights needed for our first team but he will make a living in football and could bring in some transfer money if he manages to impress out on loan, I'd imagine he'll get the chance to go out next year.

At the end of the day not everyone will make it but you'd like to think we'll be able to produce enough sellable assets each year to lower level prem and championship clubs to make the academy self sufficient.

Grob said:
sam-caddick said:

No. Not good enough going forwards. Doesn't use the ball well enough either.

Vieria has switched him to CB this season and he's improved a lot in that position.

I don't think he has the desired quality to reach the heights needed for our first team but he will make a living in football and could bring in some transfer money if he manages to impress out on loan, I'd imagine he'll get the chance to go out next year.

At the end of the day not everyone will make it but you'd like to think we'll be able to produce enough sellable assets each year to lower level prem and championship clubs to make the academy self sufficient.

Do you not think he looks good on the ball now though ? Never a centre back for me, but I thought he might look the part if he moved back to fullback.

FantasyIreland said:
Our 20 yr old versatile EDS defender,and Captain,has been called up for the England u19's.

I like Shay,he has a winners mentality,never giving less than his best,i still hope he can break through here,my personal opinion being.....he should have been afforded an opportunity in the earlier cup games.

Anyway,all the best Shay.

Always worries me when I see players described as versatile, how many of these players end up as squad players and never nail down one position.

To be fair aswell, 20 is an age where he really should be playing first team football rather than our EDS if he is to succeed at our level.

As an example, he's 10 months younger than Nastasic and 1 month younger than Rekik who is playing first team football in a top Dutch side.

Damocles said:
To be fair aswell, 20 is an age where he really should be playing first team football rather than our EDS if he is to succeed at our level.

As an example, he's 10 months younger than Nastasic and 1 month younger than Rekik who is playing first team football in a top Dutch side.

I think that unless a player of that age is viewed as exceptional, & a possibility to go straight into the first team squad, it's not fair to have them hanging around.

Either we need to loan them out or find them another club.

It's good for City if we find jobs for players that we can't use. It shows any parents who are considering entrusting their kids to us, that even if they don't make it at City, we are still a good career move.

I don't know if Huws, Evans, Rusnak, Rekik etc will ever be genuine 1st team players & if I was forced to give an answer I'd say no, on all of them, but they can all have a career in football & for all I know some may even become top class. It's inevitable we will miss out on some top players when we have so many potential ones coming through, but it's better to do that, than ruin a kid's career by letting him stagnate.

All those lads are playing in front of the public, learning the game, & both City scouts & other club's scouts can make decisions on them.

If it turns out they have 'potential' but aren't good enough for us to gamble on using in our team, then we have to realease them.

Quite a few of the current EDS need to be either playing in City's Prem squad, or loaned/released next season imo.

Damocles said:

He's almost a year older than Rekik, i don't see much of a pattern in our loan strategy. I wonder if it's purely based on demand from other clubs or if we tout around players who we want to give experience.

Some of you have gone doo lally! How can he be 20 years old if he's been called up to the U19? He was born January 1995 meaning he is 22 months younger than Nastasic and a month younger than Rekik. He's just turned 19.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.