Shay Facey

WNRH said:
pee dubya said:
WNRH said:
Some of you have gone doo lally! How can he be 20 years old if he's been called up to the U19? He was born January 1995 meaning he is 22 months younger than Nastasic and a month younger than Rekik. He's just turned 19.
http://www.mcfc.co.uk/elite-development-squad/defenders/shay-facey

Says 94 there...

If that was correct then he has been playing ineligibly in the Uefa Youth League this season.
Apparently not only african players who cheat with their age... ;)

spinzer said:
WNRH said:
pee dubya said:

If that was correct then he has been playing ineligibly in the Uefa Youth League this season.
Apparently not only african players who cheat with their age... ;)

He was playing in the FA Youth cup side last season. To qualify I think you have to be U18 at 1st of August or 1st September at season start ie. 2012. So taking that into account he would have been U19 prior to the start of this season.

Neville Kneville said:
Grob said:
sam-caddick said:
Is he good enough to get game time for us? We can't go on playing Zabaleta in every game, he will be knackered come the final 5 games.

No. Not good enough going forwards. Doesn't use the ball well enough either.

Vieria has switched him to CB this season and he's improved a lot in that position.

I don't think he has the desired quality to reach the heights needed for our first team but he will make a living in football and could bring in some transfer money if he manages to impress out on loan, I'd imagine he'll get the chance to go out next year.

At the end of the day not everyone will make it but you'd like to think we'll be able to produce enough sellable assets each year to lower level prem and championship clubs to make the academy self sufficient.

Do you not think he looks good on the ball now though ? Never a centre back for me, but I thought he might look the part if he moved back to fullback.

You tend to get a little more time on the ball at CB in the EDS setup which helps Facey as the short sharp passing required from our first team full backs never really strikes me as being his forte.

I think he'll carve a career at a lower level as a right back for sure. I'm assuming Horsfield will move up to the EDS next season to play right back. Maffeo is also a talent and could perhaps see some playing time at that level next year. I can see both Facey and Drury moving on over the summer. Or going the wabara route and being shopped around on loan for experience/to find a new home.<br /><br />-- Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:55 am --<br /><br />
Neville Kneville said:
Damocles said:
To be fair aswell, 20 is an age where he really should be playing first team football rather than our EDS if he is to succeed at our level.

As an example, he's 10 months younger than Nastasic and 1 month younger than Rekik who is playing first team football in a top Dutch side.

I think that unless a player of that age is viewed as exceptional, & a possibility to go straight into the first team squad, it's not fair to have them hanging around.

Either we need to loan them out or find them another club.

It's good for City if we find jobs for players that we can't use. It shows any parents who are considering entrusting their kids to us, that even if they don't make it at City, we are still a good career move.

I don't know if Huws, Evans, Rusnak, Rekik etc will ever be genuine 1st team players & if I was forced to give an answer I'd say no, on all of them, but they can all have a career in football & for all I know some may even become top class. It's inevitable we will miss out on some top players when we have so many potential ones coming through, but it's better to do that, than ruin a kid's career by letting him stagnate.

All those lads are playing in front of the public, learning the game, & both City scouts & other club's scouts can make decisions on them.

If it turns out they have 'potential' but aren't good enough for us to gamble on using in our team, then we have to realease them.

Quite a few of the current EDS need to be either playing in City's Prem squad, or loaned/released next season imo.

Really good points here, its likely a very small number of our academy will go onto become first team stars over the coming years. I would assume one of the hopes would be another cohort will become supplementary squad players of the required quality to fill our homegrown quota but also to have players around the squad that have grown up at the club and have a sense of loyalty to the club which is the culture I would assume the top brass want to create

Grob said:
Neville Kneville said:
Grob said:
No. Not good enough going forwards. Doesn't use the ball well enough either.

Vieria has switched him to CB this season and he's improved a lot in that position.

I don't think he has the desired quality to reach the heights needed for our first team but he will make a living in football and could bring in some transfer money if he manages to impress out on loan, I'd imagine he'll get the chance to go out next year.

At the end of the day not everyone will make it but you'd like to think we'll be able to produce enough sellable assets each year to lower level prem and championship clubs to make the academy self sufficient.

Do you not think he looks good on the ball now though ? Never a centre back for me, but I thought he might look the part if he moved back to fullback.

You tend to get a little more time on the ball at CB in the EDS setup which helps Facey as the short sharp passing required from our first team full backs never really strikes me as being his forte.

I think he'll carve a career at a lower level as a right back for sure. I'm assuming Horsfield will move up to the EDS next season to play right back. Maffeo is also a talent and could perhaps see some playing time at that level next year. I can see both Facey and Drury moving on over the summer. Or going the wabara route and being shopped around on loan for experience/to find a new home.

-- Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:55 am --

Neville Kneville said:
Damocles said:
To be fair aswell, 20 is an age where he really should be playing first team football rather than our EDS if he is to succeed at our level.

As an example, he's 10 months younger than Nastasic and 1 month younger than Rekik who is playing first team football in a top Dutch side.

I think that unless a player of that age is viewed as exceptional, & a possibility to go straight into the first team squad, it's not fair to have them hanging around.

It's good for City if we find jobs for players that we can't use. It shows any parents who are considering entrusting their kids to us, that even if they don't make it at City, we are still a good career move.

I don't know if Huws, Evans, Rusnak, Rekik etc will ever be genuine 1st team players & if I was forced to give an answer I'd say no, on all of them, but they can all have a career in football & for all I know some may even become top class. It's inevitable we will miss out on some top players when we have so many potential ones coming through, but it's better to do that, than ruin a kid's career by letting him stagnate.

All those lads are playing in front of the public, learning the game, & both City scouts & other club's scouts can make decisions on them.

If it turns out they have 'potential' but aren't good enough for us to gamble on using in our team, then we have to realease them.

Quite a few of the current EDS need to be either playing in City's Prem squad, or loaned/released next season imo.

Really good points here, its likely a very small number of our academy will go onto become first team stars over the coming years. I would assume one of the hopes would be another cohort will become supplementary squad players of the required quality to fill our homegrown quota but also to have players around the squad that have grown up at the club and have a sense of loyalty to the club which is the culture I would assume the top brass want to create

I know what you mean re fullback play, but I just got the impression with Facey that he had grown a bit as a footballer.

Competition is strong though as you say. Just have to see what the bosses think of the situation. Has to be playing proper football somewhere next season imo, whatever.

I wonder if we can insert some kind of buyback clause into deals for players we release reluctantly ? Perhaps have a few favoured clubs where we move on some of the better prospects who haven't made our 1st team squad, but aren't write offs either. We give them players, they agree to sell back any we really fancy, at a 'reasonable' price rather than take the piss.

Neville Kneville said:
Grob said:
Neville Kneville said:

I think he'll carve a career at a lower level as a right back for sure. I'm assuming Horsfield will move up to the EDS next season to play right back. Maffeo is also a talent and could perhaps see some playing time at that level next year. I can see both Facey and Drury moving on over the summer. Or going the wabara route and being shopped around on loan for experience/to find a new home.

Neville Kneville said:

I know what you mean re fullback play, but I just got the impression with Facey that he had grown a bit as a footballer.

Competition is strong though as you say. Just have to see what the bosses think of the situation. Has to be playing proper football somewhere next season imo, whatever.

I wonder if we can insert some kind of buyback clause into deals for players we release reluctantly ? Perhaps have a few favoured clubs where we move on some of the better prospects who haven't made our 1st team squad, but aren't write offs either. We give them players, they agree to sell back any we really fancy, at a 'reasonable' price rather than take the piss.
Just what real madrid have mastered. For example with Danny Carvajal. He never had a game for real madrid a team, only the B team, and in 2012 they sold him to leverkusen for 5m euro. He had an amaaazing seaso for leverkusen and in 2013 they bought him back for 6,5m euro..

spinzer said:
Neville Kneville said:
Grob said:

Just what real madrid have mastered. For example with Danny Carvajal. He never had a game for real madrid a team, only the B team, and in 2012 they sold him to leverkusen for 5m euro. He had an amaaazing seaso for leverkusen and in 2013 they bought him back for 6,5m euro..

Yeah I'm sure it's possible to do it, obviously not 100% but at least in some instances it would be possible to recover a player who otherwise could have been lost to other clubs due to not maturing at the right time.

Shay Facey says he cannot wait to pull on an England shirt and represent his country on home soil when the Young Lions take on Turkey on Wednesday evening.

The Manchester City defender has featured in each of England U19s' past four games – but Wednesday’s match will be the first time he has played in front of home support.

And with Chester’s Swansway Stadium not far from where he grew up in south Manchester Facey said there will be a number of familiar faces in the crowd.

“I’m really looking forward to it. We’ve had quite a few games on the road over the last year so it will be great to play in front of a home crowd,” he said.

“I’m from Wythenshawe which is not too far from where we’ll be playing – so my mum, my big brother and girlfriend will all be coming along.

“To be from the area and to be playing at home will be great. I’m really looking forward to it.”

Facey is a product of the Manchester City youth system and his club side are competing on multiple fronts – most recently qualifying for the quarter-finals of the inaugural UEFA Youth League with a hard-fought victory against Atletico Madrid.

Now in the midst of the part of season where games come thick and fast Facey, 19, says learning to cope with the demands of such a hectic schedule is all positive experience.

“I have played a lot of games recently – this will be my sixth in two weeks,” he added.

“But it’s a good sign. It’s a reflection of how well you are doing at club level and how consistently you can keep on doing well – and I think I’ve done that this year so I’m just happy to have the chance to play for England again.

“And obviously to play for England at any age and at any time is an honour.”

Facey began life at as a centre-forward while at school, before moving back.

Equally adept and content playing on the right side of a back-four, or in the middle, the youngster has impressed throughout his youth career – representing England at both U16 and U17 levels.

Pressed on his influences and aspirations – Facey exudes both confidence and intelligence, and he says his club captain forms a key part of his and his teammates' development as they continue to learn his trade.

“At the club we all look up to Vincent Kompany,” he added.

“If you asked me who the best defenders in the world are he has to be right up there. He’s a great leader and an all-round great player.

“He’s comfortable to play with his feet, plays out at the back and he’s fantastic on the ball – he’s definitely someone I look up to.

“He gets involved with the youth team players as well. He’s always offering help and advice and he’s really approachable.

“It’s great to be at the same club, learning off someone like him.”

Read more at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.thefa.com/news/england/development/2014/mar/facey-relishing-home-tie#yFFcMBeER7RV9XX8.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thefa.com/news/england/devel ... 7RV9XX8.99</a>

FantasyIreland said:
Shay Facey says he cannot wait to pull on an England shirt and represent his country on home soil when the Young Lions take on Turkey on Wednesday evening.

The Manchester City defender has featured in each of England U19s' past four games – but Wednesday’s match will be the first time he has played in front of home support.

And with Chester’s Swansway Stadium not far from where he grew up in south Manchester Facey said there will be a number of familiar faces in the crowd.

“I’m really looking forward to it. We’ve had quite a few games on the road over the last year so it will be great to play in front of a home crowd,” he said.

“I’m from Wythenshawe which is not too far from where we’ll be playing – so my mum, my big brother and girlfriend will all be coming along.

“To be from the area and to be playing at home will be great. I’m really looking forward to it.”

Facey is a product of the Manchester City youth system and his club side are competing on multiple fronts – most recently qualifying for the quarter-finals of the inaugural UEFA Youth League with a hard-fought victory against Atletico Madrid.

Now in the midst of the part of season where games come thick and fast Facey, 19, says learning to cope with the demands of such a hectic schedule is all positive experience.

“I have played a lot of games recently – this will be my sixth in two weeks,” he added.

“But it’s a good sign. It’s a reflection of how well you are doing at club level and how consistently you can keep on doing well – and I think I’ve done that this year so I’m just happy to have the chance to play for England again.

“And obviously to play for England at any age and at any time is an honour.”

Facey began life at as a centre-forward while at school, before moving back.

Equally adept and content playing on the right side of a back-four, or in the middle, the youngster has impressed throughout his youth career – representing England at both U16 and U17 levels.

Pressed on his influences and aspirations – Facey exudes both confidence and intelligence, and he says his club captain forms a key part of his and his teammates' development as they continue to learn his trade.

“At the club we all look up to Vincent Kompany,” he added.

“If you asked me who the best defenders in the world are he has to be right up there. He’s a great leader and an all-round great player.

“He’s comfortable to play with his feet, plays out at the back and he’s fantastic on the ball – he’s definitely someone I look up to.

“He gets involved with the youth team players as well. He’s always offering help and advice and he’s really approachable.

“It’s great to be at the same club, learning off someone like him.”

Read more at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.thefa.com/news/england/development/2014/mar/facey-relishing-home-tie#yFFcMBeER7RV9XX8.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thefa.com/news/england/devel ... 7RV9XX8.99</a>

I would love this lad to make it.

Don't know if he will, but I'd be very happy if he did.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.