Shay Facey

Damocles said:
SlimShadyRus said:
CityFan94 said:
Good move for the lad.

I like him, he looks a good player to me. Really comfortable on the ball. Personally don't think he'll make it with us, but he should go on to have a good career in football.
I think he may actually be better than Demichelis or Boyata, so he may even have a chance with us. And what he has showed for NYCFC so far is a good sign. If he continues like that, he'll definitely have a good career

Yeah, Facey's better than Beckenbauer and Ronaldo too.
Demichelis was awful at the start and Facey is only 20. WHy not? He has already showed for EDS and NYCFC that he's a good player

He hasn't shown too much for the EDS and has played 20 minutes for New York

Think you're getting a bit carried away.

SlimShadyRus said:
Damocles said:
SlimShadyRus said:
I think he may actually be better than Demichelis or Boyata, so he may even have a chance with us. And what he has showed for NYCFC so far is a good sign. If he continues like that, he'll definitely have a good career

Yeah, Facey's better than Beckenbauer and Ronaldo too.
Demichelis was awful at the start and Facey is only 20. WHy not? He has already showed for EDS and NYCFC that he's a good player

Looked very competent when he came on.

Good to see, as we have quite a few back 4 players better than, or potentially better than his level. They would also be comfortable, if he is. Played a hell of a lot of games out of position at cb though. Some players make a big step up when they play regularly with the older group, so perhaps he will. He'll have a hell of a job getting in at City above Maffeo etc, but good look to him. Every squad needs more than one right back & maybe he will come back as a strong competitor one day.

Damocles said:

Probably it's a bit too much saying he may be better than Demichelis for us (only because he's 179 cm), but I believe he can become a good player and have a good career, Demichelis can't pass forward, he's slow and sometimes makes strange, wrong decisions. Facey was impressive in friendlies and he was nominated (or won) EDS player of the year. Don't know why does Kreis put wingerts and williams into the squad, they're bad and CB is not their position. Facey would fit as a CB.

SlimShadyRus said:
Damocles said:

Probably it's a bit too much saying he may be better than Demichelis for us (only because he's 179 cm), but I believe he can become a good player and have a good career, Demichelis can't pass forward, he's slow and sometimes makes strange, wrong decisions. Facey was impressive in friendlies and he was nominated (or won) EDS player of the year. Don't know why does Kreis put wingerts and williams into the squad, they're bad and CB is not their position. Facey would fit as a CB.

Ok now you've lost me?

The general standard last night was woeful and Facey came on for 20 minutes against a side reduced to 10 men and on the back foot. That is not the game to judge him on when you are considering if he's got the ability needed to play here. It's a monumental step up.

FWIW, I think we need to seriously consider the type of player we send over there. I know it's based on a tiny sample size, but the opposition the EDS face each week seem to be more capable than either of the teams on show last night. One thing I think New York could be useful for is youngsters learning directly from the experienced players who've gone out there. As an example (not necessarily a suggestion), the positions Ambrose often takes up as a striker-cum-winger aren't too different from the spaces Villa tends to play in and training day in day out with him and benefitting from that experience could be useful.

Even the Championship has higher quality sides though.

CityStu said:
The general standard last night was woeful and Facey came on for 20 minutes against a side reduced to 10 men and on the back foot. That is not the game to judge him on when you are considering if he's got the ability needed to play here. It's a monumental step up.

FWIW, I think we need to seriously consider the type of player we send over there. I know it's based on a tiny sample size, but the opposition the EDS face each week seem to be more capable than either of the teams on show last night. One thing I think New York could be useful for is youngsters learning directly from the experienced players who've gone out there. As an example (not necessarily a suggestion), the positions Ambrose often takes up as a striker-cum-winger aren't too different from the spaces Villa tends to play in and training day in day out with him and benefitting from that experience could be useful.

Just to play devils advocate, when you look at the number of players who cut there teeth in Spains Second Division. The amount of stars from Brazil and Argentina, then compare with the premier leagues perhaps its as much about where you are, and what you learn from your team as it is the opposition you face. This Sink or Swim mentality has killed many a fine young talent in the PL, lesser opposition can be more beneficial because it gives you time to learn.

Edit: Because we essentially are NYCFC you can guarantee the facilities, coaches and staff are of the highest quality, and the team plays the attacking football we want

MC ID said:
CityStu said:

Just to play devils advocate, when you look at the number of players who cut there teeth in Spains Second Division. The amount of stars from Brazil and Argentina, then compare with the premier leagues perhaps its as much about where you are, and what you learn from your team as it is the opposition you face. This Sink or Swim mentality has killed many a fine young talent in the PL, lesser opposition can be more beneficial because it gives you time to learn.

Edit: Because we essentially are NYCFC you can guarantee the facilities, coaches and staff are of the highest quality, and the team plays the attacking football we want

I agree with a lot of that, especially the last point. It's incredibly useful having a professional outfit to send players to where we know they'll be used how we want them to be used.

However, there has to be a balance between a lower pressure environment where a youngster can achieve personal success and an environment where a player can develop because they are being tested against players who are in some way better than them (given the quality of players we're producing, that disadvantage will usually be physical presence). On the basis of last night, I think that the youngsters we'd like to see blooded in a professional environment would absolutely stroll the MLS. Take Barker for example: Velásquez last night looked a handy player - competent in possession, happy to take a player on and difficult to knock off the ball - but he was completely headless, starting a dribble and ending up wherever he'd happened to run to. Barker has all of those skills, and then some, and is a much more direct threat.

I'm just struggling to see the types of player we'd be sending there. If the youngsters are showing real promise, like Lopes and Denayer, then they've shown they can hack loans to decent European clubs and hopefully come back and be of use to City. That then leaves the much younger players, that I'd rather were left in the excellent new academy, and the (sorry to say it) last chance saloon players like Facey who would have had that good loan move or opportunity in the first team if they really were good enough. Shouldn't we simply cut our losses on the last group rather than loan them to a sister club?

CityStu said:
MC ID said:
CityStu said:

I agree with a lot of that, especially the last point. It's incredibly useful having a professional outfit to send players to where we know they'll be used how we want them to be used.

However, there has to be a balance between a lower pressure environment where a youngster can achieve personal success and an environment where a player can develop because they are being tested against players who are in some way better than them (given the quality of players we're producing, that disadvantage will usually be physical presence). On the basis of last night, I think that the youngsters we'd like to see blooded in a professional environment would absolutely stroll the MLS. Take Barker for example: Velásquez last night looked a handy player - competent in possession, happy to take a player on and difficult to knock off the ball - but he was completely headless, starting a dribble and ending up wherever he'd happened to run to. Barker has all of those skills, and then some, and is a much more direct threat.

I'm just struggling to see the types of player we'd be sending there. If the youngsters are showing real promise, like Lopes and Denayer, then they've shown they can hack loans to decent European clubs and hopefully come back and be of use to City. That then leaves the much younger players, that I'd rather were left in the excellent new academy, and the (sorry to say it) last chance saloon players like Facey who would have had that good loan move or opportunity in the first team if they really were good enough. Shouldn't we simply cut our losses on the last group rather than loan them to a sister club?
But surely we ain't losing anything by giving the lad an opportunity in New York. We have seen how it's easy to give up on youngsters too early and regret it later. It's more than likely that Facey won't make it at City but it can't do any harm seeing how he does in front of large crowds and a television audience.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.