Should ex pro's be encouraged to be Refs?

B B

BLUEMATT23

Is my question to the forum

The standard of refereeing I think is very poor in this country & it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Weekly incidents of ref's missing blatant straight card offences, misinterpreting key decisions, general inconsistency, a perception of bias towards certain clubs & general utter incompetence can spoil a fan's weekend & at it's worst cost a club a trophy or at it's worst relegation.

So why are ex pro's not encouraged to take it up?. I know obviously you could not have an ex City player turning up at Eastlands but would it be a problem if he ref'd say Sunderland Vs West Ham?.
They would surely have a great advantage in terms of interpreting big decisions having played the game & maybe been in a similar situations that could confront them when taking charge of a match. They would understand the rules a lot better & I think they would be respected a lot more.

Cricket has a lot of ex players who take up umpiring so could the same ever happen in football?

No. Cricketers tend to be relatively well educated. Footballers tend to be illiterate nob ends.

No but i think only foreign refs should be able to ref games in the english league and the same in others, it removes any chance of bias really, if i was to ref a tottenham game they wouldnt win, just because it would do city a favour, foreign refs removes this problem

I think it's a bad idea and a bit disrespectful to the current bunch of refs. Not like they deserve any respect, but just because you've played professionally wouldn't automatically make you a good ref. The refs in the prem have got years of experience at every level of the game. If an ex-pro wants to put in that level of commitment and progress naturally through the leagues then fine. Putting one in charge of a Prem game without the benefit of years of experience would be madness.
Can you imagine Gary fucking Neville refereeing a City game. There would be a pitch invasion the first time he got a decision wrong.

stony said:
Can you imagine Gary fucking Neville refereeing a City game. There would be a pitch invasion the first time he got a decision wrong.

Fucking beat me to that exact words an all that:(

Footballers waer out their bodies playing and training, most would not be fit to ref.

Umpires stand still, a big difference.

benCTID said:
stony said:

Fucking beat me to that exact words an all that:(

Chuckle wouldn't worry me - in fact if he reffed-us he'd probably give us every decision just to show how unbiased he is! I'd be more concerned about the ones harbouring a grudge for either not being signed as a lad or some other historic petty grievance - eg I'm sure that somewhere along the line that prick Collymore must have been done by Andy Morrison or someone because he just can't help himself when it comes to laying in to us.

But the issue is not the refs - it's the players. If they played the game the way it's supposed to be played then the refs job would be more do-able. I don't mean no fouling etc - but the constant haranguing and pressuring of refs over decisions is shite and is ruining the game. Sort that, and introduce the use of pitch-side video technology for major decisions and the problem is sorted.

Then ex-pro's can be left to do what they do best - spouting bullshit in the name of informed punditry on Sky.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.