Should I work the time back?

mcfc moon

So I was on the way to work this morning, witnessed an accident very serious. I stopped and one guy was unconscious, hopefully he's okay. He regained consciousness at the scene and the fire brigade cut the roof off the car and eventually got him out and to into an Ambulance which was went.

I parked in a road which was a dead end, but the crash was at the mouth of the road and the 4+ fire engines, 2 polices vehicles and 2 ambulances blocked it off and weren't for moving until the guy was safely out of his car. As such, I couldn't leave once our details had been given. I was around 90 minutes later for work.

I stopped to help a guy which was in need of help, do you think my employer can make me work the time back? they've not asked me yet, but my partner who was with me, equally late has been told she needs to work it back.

What you think?

So I was on the way to work this morning, witnessed an accident very serious. I stopped and one guy was unconscious, hopefully he's okay. He regained consciousness at the scene and the fire brigade cut the roof off the car and eventually got him out and to into an Ambulance which was went.

I parked in a road which was a dead end, but the crash was at the mouth of the road and the 4+ fire engines, 2 polices vehicles and 2 ambulances blocked it off and weren't for moving until the guy was safely out of his car. As such, I couldn't leave once our details had been given. I was around 90 minutes later for work.

I stopped to help a guy which was in need of help, do you think my employer can make me work the time back? they've not asked me yet, but my partner who was with me, equally late has been told she needs to work it back.

What you think?
If you work for the ambulance service, you'll probably be ok.

Unless you have a company policy or a clause in your employment contract that makes reference to time off for exceptional circumstances then legally your employer can demand that you work the time. You may want to argue the point that the circumstances you were in transcended the normal obligations of an employee to turn up for work on time etc but nonetheless your company may still insist.

You could submit a grievance etc.

do you think my employer can make me work the time back? they've not asked me yet, but my partner who was with me, equally late has been told she needs to work it back.

What you think?

Depends on the terms of your contract I suppose. Morally, they'd be a bit shitty to do that, but can they in theory ask you? Yes, I would imagine they can.

If you pay a window cleaner to clean your windows, and he doesn't turn up, do you pay him anyway?

What you think?
No way I’d make my guys work it back but I’m not a ****. What industry is it? Is it a proper clock in, clock out sort?

What you think?

If anybody penalised good people trying to help someone hurt in an accident, then they are 24 carat Cunts.

So we just drive by people in need?

What the fuck are we becoming as a country?

If anybody penalised good people trying to help someone hurt in an accident, then they are 24 carat Cunts.

Before last nights game we drove past an elderly gentlemen with a walking stick who was obviously in pain near New Islington tram stop.

The amount of people who just walked past was depressing.

I jumped out and went to make sure he was okay, not because I'm a hero, but because I'm not a dick (most of the time).

Fortunately he was fine after about ten minutes, but the poor bastard could quite easily have been having a heart attack etc.

Like I say, I reckon at least 200 people walked past (and that's only the amount I saw)

Yes, but strictly speaking the Company are not penalising him - just asking him to work the time he is being paid for.

Personally I would say to the company to let this one go as a gesture of goodwill and respect for someone performing their civic duties but the law isn't that nuanced.

What you think?

However noble, your employer is not going to pay you for time spent on a good deed/civic duty, unless it's stipulated in your contract.

A good employer would be grateful to have such a caring and considerate member of staff.

I would think if you speak with your immediate manager and explain the situation and ask if they want you to work the time back. That way, you are being open and honest with them. Then if something similar happens in the future they may be more understanding.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.