Should I work the time back?

Yes, but strictly speaking the Company are not penalising him - just asking him to work the time he is being paid for.

Personally I would say to the company to let this one go as a gesture of goodwill and respect for someone performing their civic duties but the law isn't that nuanced.

I hear you. The issue shouldn't be law, it should be a matter of what's right. What kind of country will we be with people passing by our fellow citizens when they need help because they get penalised for being good people?

Maybe the police could give people who are detained by trying to help, a slip that companies could submit to be compensated if their margins are so tight.

It's one of our best traits, coming to the aid of people when shit happens. It makes me proud of who we are. Penalising people who go to the aid of those hurt or dying for me is a scandal.

I hear you. The issue shouldn't be law, it should be a matter of what's right. What kind of country will we be with people passing by our fellow citizens when they need help because they get penalised for being good people?

Maybe the police could give people who are detained by trying to help, a slip that companies could submit to be compensated if their margins are so tight.

It's one of our best traits, coming to the aid of people when shit happens. It makes me proud of who we are. Penalising people who go to the aid of those hurt or dying for me is a scandal.

I agree it should be a matter of what is right.

But I think we are over analysing this. It's 90 minutes of work. Explain to the employer the situation and hopefully they will let it pass. If they make him do the extra time, they are twats, but suck it up and get on with it. We are not talking 28 weeks of hard labour.

It depends if the company believe you .did you contact them at the tine if the incident ? did you contact then when the incident was over ?

Before last nights game we drove past an elderly gentlemen with a walking stick who was obviously in pain near New Islington tram stop.

The amount of people who just walked past was depressing.

I jumped out and went to make sure he was okay, not because I'm a hero, but because I'm not a dick (most of the time).

Fortunately he was fine after about ten minutes, but the poor bastard could quite easily have been having a heart attack etc.

Like I say, I reckon at least 200 people walked past (and that's only the amount I saw)
Going off your username, I'd suggest you are a Dick......

You should have done what most do nowadays and just filmed it on your phone, then you could prove to your boss where you were. Then share the video with all the nosy bastards on YouTube, or 5Live.....

I would have made a pre-emptive strike. Walked into my boss on getting to work and explained the situation. I suspect most bosses would have been happy for you to have helped. Unless of course this was your 5th time with the same excuse :)

However noble, your employer is not going to pay you for time spent on a good deed/civic duty, unless it's stipulated in your contract.

^ This, I would think. If you were 90 minutes late, wouldnt you just clock in when you get there and be paid 90 mins less? If you are salaried I would think you'd be able to get away with it.

I understand why people think the employer should "do the right thing", and I agree with that. But I think people are often a bit quick to see things from the employee's side and not from that of the employer. Maybe because most of us are employees and not employers?

That's why I gave my window cleaner example. Say you pay a window cleaner to clean your windows and he doesn't turn up and doesn't clean them. in a months time, he shows up to clean them again when he finishes says "sorry about last month, but xyz happened. So that's £6 for just now and £6 for last month."

I am not sure many people would say OK then.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.