Singing section/Atmosphere

I am in 120 and it was quieter than normal, but I thin ka lot were watching what the 3 russians in tge section seat hopping and sneaking in beer were doing at points in the game

“You’ve only got one song” lol. I got the Raheem Sterling, he’s too of the league going cos us had enough of the Russian’s “top of the league” chant

I have to say the performance of the singing section yesterday was well ,.........

I am not sure what the south stand want.

We are top of the league, our rivals won earlier.

The match is under the lights and 5.-30 kick off so you can have plenty of beers before and plan to go out after.

Good opposition who bring a loud following.

You can stand up all the way through, nobody sits you down.

There was even a little skirmish at the bottom which always adds a nice bit of spice .

You sang a little bit after the first goal for a minute or two and then well we could hear the geordies nice and loud through the game, could not hear the singing section at all.

Poor.

I’m in 115 and it was strangely quiet for large periods of the game yesterday. Not sure why. One reason is I think a large number of fans are now in the section to “enjoy” the atmosphere but they don’t actually sing and contribute ! Confirmed by the videos and selfies being taken on a regular basis. It was also bloody freezing yesterday ! ❄️❄️❄️

Even with 1894 trying to improve the atmosphere, it's getting worse. Or it has got worse? Pick any of the 2.

Didn't go last night as I was working until 10pm. Inventory. Twice a year. Can't get out of it.

Watched Match Of The Day when I got home.

After Serg scored, think it was his 3rd, he runs towards the family stand, heading towards the corner flag, the TV camera angle followed him from behind, showing fans in the family stand, all you could see were mobile phones pointing at him.(videoing or picture's being taken)

It's sad to say, you can't put an exact date or match on it, just overtime, we've become like the Rags, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal support.

A set of fans who would rather sit and watch the team, take video's and picture's, and not support the team, etc. Everything we feared we'd become a few years back.

Yes, I blame the fans, it's our fault, but I also blame the club. They've steered the fans and our support into this matchday malaise with........(you all know what I mean)

Sadly it's only going to get worse. And the thing is this, we won't have a better reason to support the team. We're top of the league currently by 12 points, we've got some of the Worlds best players, we haven't lost yet at the Etihad, etc. Every single possible reason to support the team and to create an atmosphere.

My mind goes back to the Mancini season. It was pretty similar to this. But the difference being, the atmosphere was great. Beating teams at home every match, brilliant football, great atmospheres, loads of banter with the away fans, the Poznan going around the stadium, etc. I'd hate to think what our support would be like if we were not playing great football, and we were only fighting for a CL place, or if we were a mid-table team.

My Mrs went last night. She sits in level 2, 212. She said the Newcastle fans were brilliant. Deafening at times. One of the best away supports she's heard this season. She said our support was average at best, if that? She's not one to lie.

Sadly I can't see any way our support is going to improve. A section of our fanbase is trying. To be fair the club is trying. Even Pep has asked us to get behind the team more. But as a group of fans we aren't buying into it. We've stopped supporting the team.

One plus point. We should be back to our best against a United. (cough) That's if they don't score first and kill the atmosphere.

Last edited:
It was shocking yesterday. There are so many around me who just sit there and don’t offer any words of encouragement let alone sing. Like being at the theatre. I really don’t get it. Yesterday down to 9 points before kick off we should have been right behind the team. Like everyone says seems to be getting worse not better.

Apart from a quiet period at the start of the second half I thought it was decent yesterday in 116. Maybe there is something wrong with my ears! Or maybe it is difficult to tell what it is like outside your immediate area.

I think there are quite a few pockets of fans that sing scattered amongst 114 to 119ish but the sound doesn't seem to travel well compared to away games when it only needs 3 or 4 fans to start something and it will spread across the blocks pretty swift. This is despite more and more tourist fans who contribute nothing being interspersed amongst away crowds. Obviously drunkennes is a clear factor in away games being better atmospheres generally so cheaper alcohol in the ground would probably improve things as has been mentioned a lot over the years!
Definitely think acoustics are a factor as I could not hear 119 singing stand up if you love city yesterday despite being only a few blocks away which is interesting.

It can all come across as excuses though and the main thing is for people to make the effort if they want to improve things as generally if someone starts singing loud enough or joins in with others on their row people Will join in.
I noticed when looking to move seats for cup games that when you go to look at tickets for 114 or 115 they mention that it is a designated singing section and not appropriate for all so it could help if the warning came up for all south stand lower blocks possibly as you do get more day trippers there now who don'the have any intention of singing (probably don't know or understand the words in a lot of cases tbf) Its frustrating i agree that some people choose these areas to try and experience the atmosphere without contributing themselves but like I say you just need a few more to join in and it should spread across the blocks and stands more. Acoustics and increased tourists and a different kind of fan are not something which we as supporters can do a lot about.

Apart from a quiet period at the start of the second half I thought it was decent yesterday in 116. Maybe there is something wrong with my ears! Or maybe it is difficult to tell what it is like outside your immediate area.

I think there are quite a few pockets of fans that sing scattered amongst 114 to 119ish but the sound doesn't seem to travel well compared to away games when it only needs 3 or 4 fans to start something and it will spread across the blocks pretty swift. This is despite more and more tourist fans who contribute nothing being interspersed amongst away crowds. Obviously drunkennes is a clear factor in away games being better atmospheres generally so cheaper alcohol in the ground would probably improve things as has been mentioned a lot over the years!
Definitely think acoustics are a factor as I could not hear 119 singing stand up if you love city yesterday despite being only a few blocks away which is interesting.

It can all come across as excuses though and the main thing is for people to make the effort if they want to improve things as generally if someone starts singing loud enough or joins in with others on their row people Will join in.
I noticed when looking to move seats for cup games that when you go to look at tickets for 114 or 115 they mention that it is a designated singing section and not appropriate for all so it could help if the warning came up for all south stand lower blocks possibly as you do get more day trippers there now who don'the have any intention of singing (probably don't know or understand the words in a lot of cases tbf) Its frustrating i agree that some people choose these areas to try and experience the atmosphere without contributing themselves but like I say you just need a few more to join in and it should spread across the blocks and stands more. Acoustics and increased tourists and a different kind of fan are not something which we as supporters can do a lot about.

I can assure it’s nothing to do with acoustics. I sit in the family stand and the slither of Geordie fans in the same stand as our singing section could be heard loud and clearly throughout the game.

This acoustics excuse is bollocks. No problem hearing the Burnley or Bristol fans when they’re in the 3rd tier. It’s an excuse to say ‘oh we can’t hear anything that’s why the atmosphere is shit’ Newcastle fans joined in with songs started in the 3rd tier yesterday and vice versa.

I was up in SSL3 yesterday and it was not too bad, noisy at times but its now sporadic chanting, more like a ritual like ‘Come on City’ at a corner and Blue Moon to herald a victory. In years gone by one chant would follow another.

We never really hear or see SSL1 (being above them) but its noticeable that the corner of the East stand rarely participate anymore.

Its tough on the 1894 group because there doing everything possible to get things going but I do think the point made by others (I cannot confirm this) but being sat at the back is not the best area to be sited. Its noticeable at Palace they are all at the front and that probably drags others in. But the main issue is simply were quite a passive crowd these days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.