Six players in the starting XI were in their 30's today

Certainly a problem, maybe not the major problem. We've done half the job this season, we need to complete it next window by sorting out the defence/midfield.

CB's next season: Kompany (31), Otamendi (29), Stones (23) & New, for arguments sake replace the New with VvD (26) & that's a fairly reasonable age scenario there with just one addition.
FB's next season: Zabaleta (32), Kolarov (31), New, New; this is assuming we keep two, could easily replace more in reality. Again 2 additions & we could have a more balanced age scenario here.
CMs next season: Fernandinho (32), Silva (31), Fernando (30), Gundogan (26), De Bruyne (26); probably need someone fresh in there too to be honest.
Wingers next season: Nolito (30), Sterling (22), Sane (21), Roberts (20), Moreno (20); can't get much younger there.
Forwards next season: Aguero (29), Iheanacho (20), Jesus (20); again no issues there in terms of age.

Can see with even just 1 CB, 2 FB's & 1 CM, we could suddenly have a fairly young squad. It's achievable, just needs to be done. Example below of what it could be like (obviously not a prediction or expecting to be accurate).

----------------------Bravo (34)--------------------
New (~24)--VVD (26)--Stones(23)--New (~24)
-------------------Gundogan (26)-----------------
------------De Bruyne (26)---Silva (31)---------
Sterling (22)-------Aguero (29)-------Jesus (20)

Bench: Gunn (21), Otamendi (29), Zabaleta (32), Fernandinho (32), Nolito (30), Sane (21), Iheanacho (20)

Last edited:
Next season's squad if it's up to me:

Hart (or any new keeper unless Bravo massively improves)
Gunn
EDS keeper as 3rd choice OR Caballero for experience

New LB (Grimaldo, Bernat)
Angelino

New CB
Otamendi
Stones
Adarabioyo
Kompany (in a less player-based role unless he gets his injury sorted)

Maffeo
Sagna

Gundogan
New CM (Kroos or Rakitic if we can)
Fernandinho
Fernando
Aleix García

De Bruyne
Silva
Nasri

Sané
Sterling
Nolito
New LM

Aguero
Jesus
Iheanacho
Unal

All the other top teams in the league are exactly the same, the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs.

Wait... what do you mean they're full of young, energetic players?

If Pep can't see this problem and rectify it, he's not a top manager, it's as simple as that. It makes you wonder why he hasn't already? We're now into his second transfer window, he's had opportunities.

. . . . . . unless Bravo massively improves

Somehow I can't see this guy doing that! I'm normally one inclined to give a player five more games than anyone and think that the MotM game is just round the corner. I was rather put out when The Mangler went 'cos I thought that 'just the next game' and he'll do it! But with Claudio I'm already convinced it isn't gonna happen. He is not cut out for the PL, and that is not, at his age, gonna change. I'll be fucked if Pep persevere with him next Saturday!

All the other top teams in the league are exactly the same, the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs.

If Pep can't see this problem and rectify it, he's not a top manager, it's as simple as that. It makes you wonder why he hasn't already? We're now into his second transfer window, he's had opportunities.
I think he knows it, just look at the players we bought last window, a haul of young energetic pacey players - unfortunately they were all for attacking positions & haven't really featured yet - but you'd expect them to next year.

Expecting similar again for the defence, 2-3 young energetic full backs, at least 1 CB & 1 CM. I imagine the team, or even squad, next year will be vastly different from the 2015/16 season.

Silver lining we will get new players next season. With Jesus, de Bruyne, sterling, Sané we are getting there.

Of course he will see it, but in the absence of Kompany, Fernandinho and Fernando what alternatives does he have to play Zab and Toure? We had this discussion last season, and it's still not resolved.

This is what comes from sitting on your hands for 2 years waiting for Guardiola. The squad has grown old.

We have some amazing forwards on our books, but the defensive side of our game is a joke

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.