Sky wanting an Xmas Eve game

Sky have a contract for two Sunday games. They cost £11 million each. The clubs and the Premier League didn't factor in that the calendar changes and that Christmas Eve might fall on a Sunday. They aren't going to give up that expense and nor should they. The fault lies with the PL and clubs who don't give a shit about fans and made no arrangements for such an eventuality.

Why would anyone expect Sky not to ask for their contract to be fulfilled? Really?

well then Sky should pick stoke v wba which is close enough to be do-able for away fans not Arse V pool which is a ballache.

they will fuck about with christmas no matter their contract, boxing day games willl be moved to one each day of the week like befpre, they will get their moneys worth without moving games to christmas eve.

well then Sky should pick stoke v wba which is close enough to be do-able for away fans not Arse V pool which is a ballache.

they will fuck about with christmas no matter their contract, boxing day games willl be moved to one each day of the week like befpre, they will get their moneys worth without moving games to christmas eve.

No, you misunderstand. They aren't moving any games at all, Christmas Eve happens to fall on a Sunday this year, so if they don't show a 'Super Sunday' they lose two live games completely, irrespective of the Christmas fixture list. If course they aren't going to do that. The club's and the Premier League didn't put a proviso in for when the calendar falls that way, either because they weren't aware the days of Christmas change every year (which would be inept) or because they don't care (more likely I suspect).

I'm not defending it happening, I'm saying that the contract allows it to, and Sky have paid for these games as is.

No, you misunderstand. They aren't moving any games at all, Christmas Eve happens to fall on a Sunday this year, so if they don't show a 'Super Sunday' they lose two live games completely, irrespective of the Christmas fixture list. If course they aren't going to do that. The club's and the Premier League didn't put a proviso in for when the calendar falls that way, either because they weren't aware the days of Christmas change every year (which would be inept) or because they don't care (more likely I suspect).

I'm not defending it happening, I'm saying that the contract allows it to, and Sky have paid for these games as is.

I know when Christmas eve is, but they still will move enough games in the week after that not showing sunday games will not be such a big deal, unless sky want to be pricks about it, why not just have a morning game on sunday and one on friday, it's the 4pm KO on CE that has fans objecting

Didn't there used to be a game on Christmas Day?

That'd be fun if they brought that back

Often, clubs played each other home and away on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. For example, on Christmas Day1946, we beat Plymouth Argyle 4-3 at Maine Road, and on Boxing Day, we won 3-2 at Home Park.

I know when Christmas eve is, but they still will move enough games in the week after that not showing sunday games will not be such a big deal, unless sky want to be pricks about it, why not just have a morning game on sunday and one on friday, it's the 4pm KO on CE that has fans objecting

Those games are contracted anyway. Can't you see the point here? If they don't show the Christmas Eve ones, they'll be two live games down on their contract. From their perspective,they've paid for them and so have the right to show them.

Your anger is directed at the wrong people. Sky have paid for these games, it's the PL and the clubs who failed to take the calendar into account. The obvious solution would be to offer Sky two additional games over the Christmas period. Are the PL going to do that? If not, there's your answer about what they think.

Those games are contracted anyway. Can't you see the point here? If they don't show the Christmas Eve ones, they'll be two live games down on their contract. From their perspective,they've paid for them and so have the right to show them.

Your anger is directed at the wrong people. Sky have paid for these games, it's the PL and the clubs who failed to take the calendar into account. The obvious solution would be to offer Sky two additional games over the Christmas period. Are the PL going to do that? If not, there's your answer about what they think.

I am not angry about it, and you are missunderstanding what I am saying, sky have paid for a certain number of games amd yes the timeslots normally include sunday 4pm, but as long as they get to show the contracted number of games , they could move this one to friday 22nd as a good will gesture, not saying should lose a game they have paid to show, but use common sense.

So what happens when Christmas Day falls on a Sunday as it did last year? Did Sky show any games then? Of course not. As such, I don’t see why you’re making such a big deal of this “2 games down if they don’t show any on Christmas Eve” malarkey. If they don’t show any games on Xmas Eve, they’ll still find enough slots between now and the end of the season to show their contracted number of games.

I wouldn’t mind, but they’re unlikely to get as big an audience for a Christmas Eve Sunday game as they would if it was a normal Sunday anyway.

Move one to a Friday eve, have one Sat lunch then one 11.30am ko on the Sunday 24th. They could even squeeze another in at 1.30pm if they wanted. No problems.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.