Sky wanting an Xmas Eve game

Discussion in 'General football forum' started by Mad Eyed Screamer, 5 Oct 2017.

1. TravisBickle

TravisBickle

I've just looked this up as I didn't believe it. But it's 100% true!
    Crazy1

Just to add to this, the previous year they played Bolton home/away on Christmas/Boxing Day.
    So maybe it's was considered the norm back then, seems fucking mental now!

Last edited: 11 Oct 2017
  2. Gabriel

Gabriel

Would be more sensible and acceptable if clubs were playing locally at that time. But when did the powerful bees ever do anything whereby the attending supporters were thought of first?

3. 1948/49 over 1 million fans watched matches on Xmas Day with the highest attendance being 50k at Boothferry Park for Hull v Rotherham!
    The following season Xmas Day fell on a Sunday so they played on Xmas Eve, Boxing Day and December 27th! Over 3 million attended over the 3 days with an all time record of nearly 1.3M turning up for the Boxing Day games.

4. burnley blue mcfc

burnley blue mcfc

Moulding technician
    I remember my dad telling me a story about burnley beating rags 5-1 on xmas day, then rags beating burnley 5-1 boxing day when george best made his full debut

5. old blue

old blue

Retired
    Thanks for that. I suddenly feel a lot older this morning.:-)

6. Scaring Europe to Death

Scaring Europe to Death

Pre Beeching Report it was probably easier to travel from Manchester to Plymouth, albeit on a rickety 6 hour journey through the old Chinley-Derby-London line, and then a Plymouth connection.
    No wonder the results were often reversed.because I'm guessing the players would have enjoyed a tipple to release the boredom.

7. Cotton Weave Blue

Cotton Weave Blue

Premier League has ruled out 4pm Christmas Eve kick-off but not an earlier time.

8. blue corby

blue corby

What's the odds they will make it a 3pm ko? And then something like a 1pm ko for an earlier game.

9. Cotton Weave Blue

Cotton Weave Blue

I can definitely see at 12:00 & 14:00 happening. Not sure on the rules of televised 15:00 even on a Sunday.

10. Henkeman

Henkeman

Absolutely. With organisations, whenever they rule something out, it means they are approving everything up to that point. Otherwise they'd have been more specific.