Sleep Apnoea

Cheesy

Anyone suffer from this?

I have felt really unwell on an almost daily basis for years now. Headaches every day, pain all over, concentration lapses and even an inability to lose weight.

I went to the docs perhaps once every 6 months over the last 5 years to talk about this and was constantly fobbed off by them and told there was nothing wrong. It was only when I mentioned that my Mrs says I stop breathing in my sleep that I finally had a referral for a sleep survey which confirmed I've got sleep apnoea. Apparently I was having 40 episodes an hour during the night. 40! No wonder I felt shit when waking up.

I've now been using a CPAP machine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_positive_airway_pressure for all of 2 days and there has been a complete and utter change in the way I feel! No headache, no pain, I feel alert and, without wishing to overstate things (although I know I'm doing exactly that!) I feel like a completely new person already :-)

I cannot express the difference this is hopefully going to make to my life. Just thought I'd share my good news with fellow Blues.

Oh, one more thing.... I've never really suffered from tiredness strangely enough. The docs say that as this is the case I don't need to inform DVLA of the issue. They also said that even those who do suffer from tiredness very rarely get their license taken off them (about 1% apparently) as the symptoms can completely go away when treated so if there's anyone who thinks sleep apnoea could be the cause of their health issues don't put off going to see the docs just because this is a worry.

Anyone suffer from this?

I have felt really unwell on an almost daily basis for years now. Headaches every day, pain all over, concentration lapses and even an inability to lose weight.

I went to the docs perhaps once every 6 months over the last 5 years to talk about this and was constantly fobbed off by them and told there was nothing wrong. It was only when I mentioned that my Mrs says I stop breathing in my sleep that I finally had a referral for a sleep survey which confirmed I've got sleep apnoea. Apparently I was having 40 episodes an hour during the night. 40! No wonder I felt shit when waking up.

I've now been using a CPAP machine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_positive_airway_pressure for all of 2 days and there has been a complete and utter change in the way I feel! No headache, no pain, I feel alert and, without wishing to overstate things (although I know I'm doing exactly that!) I feel like a completely new person already :-)

I cannot express the difference this is hopefully going to make to my life. Just thought I'd share my good news with fellow Blues.

Oh, one more thing.... I've never really suffered from tiredness strangely enough. The docs say that as this is the case I don't need to inform DVLA of the issue. They also said that even those who do suffer from tiredness very rarely get their license taken off them (about 1% apparently) as the symptoms can completely go away when treated so if there's anyone who thinks sleep apnoea could be the cause of their health issues don't put off going to see the docs just because this is a worry.

Sorry to be personal, but are you obese? I think weight loss would then be your main cure. Your GP can help you with weight loss if needed. And they can refer you for sleep studies to get a formal diagnosis

Now you have identified the problem make sure you use it regularly.
Over the long term oxygen deprivstion will irreversibaly damage your internal organs especially your heart.
Heart disease and fibrosis are symptomatic of oxygen deprivsation.
Your autonomic nervous system one day may not be up to it's job due to complications like pnemonial infection so always wear your cpap before you go to sleep.There are the usual things you can do to improve health like weight loss and avoidance of alcholol.
There are many causes not just weight related but moderation is the key and good luck.

You will likely also be at risk of high cholesterol/BP/Diabetes so please get yourself checked out

Sorry to be personal, but are you obese? I think weight loss would then be your main cure. Your GP can help you with weight loss if needed. And they can refer you for sleep studies to get a formal diagnosis

Not obese. Chunky would be a better description :-D

Not too unfit either (although could be better). No prob doing an hour or so on cross trainer or cycling 30 odd miles.

I have been diagnosed with sleep apnoea so whilst losing weight will help of course, I'm going to need the CPAP machine for a 'cure'.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.