"Smart" homes

Lifx are having a sale on their bulbs

https://eu.lifx.com/products/lifx

Just enter smarthome for 25% off. Or you can buy the second generation at 'about' half price.

Come on luddites you know it makes sense; geofence them and they will happily turn on when you get home from the pub. Set them up to flash blue when City score (may reduce life expectancy) Set them up with spotify and they flash in time with the music. Buy a nest smoke alarm and they flash red when the wife burns your toast. :-)

Sonos and Alexa play nice now so I don't even have to frab with my phone now to get the Sonos to play music!
And I can also call other people with Echo's without frabbing with my phone either

Discosteve Alexa and Sonos are not playing nice, no Spotify integration and no voice control over your own music library. The only music you can voice control is Amazon's streaming service, although not suprised by this, the new app with Alexa is actually a worse user experience than before and we have waited over a year for this !

Would absolutely love this. I spend all day worrying about it going dark because I know at some point I'm going to have to stand up and turn a light on. And don't get me started on using a key when I want to get into my house.

This

Discosteve Alexa and Sonos are not playing nice, no Spotify integration and no voice control over your own music library. The only music you can voice control is Amazon's streaming service, although not suprised by this, the new app with Alexa is actually a worse user experience than before and we have waited over a year for this !

And this!

Before I left UK I fitted the old fella's house with WEMO wifi light bulbs and a couple of cameras. He had recently departed from this world and I had been left with the responsibility of looking after the place until we sold it. The reason for the WEMO stuff was that I was at work from early morning to late evening most days (and then in t'pub) and I wanted some sort of security for the place. The 'random' lights switching on and off was a good feature, a bedroom light would come on, then the landing light and next the bog. It did look like there was someone in the place. I had one camera pointing at the front door and the other at the kitchen window, they would send me emails if any movement was detected. I remember one time my sister popped in to look for something and when she left I called her from work and told her she'd left something in the kitchen. She said "how did you know that? It's my tea!"
If I had been staying there any longer, my next step would have been to add a 3G backup connection to t'internet, after all, all it takes is to cut one pair of wires (or a fibre) and the whole lot goes off line.
I've used Wemo switches for years. They are useful for controlling your lights when you are away. On balance they have been a good buy but they can be a bit glitchy, sometimes disappearing from the network for no good reason and they are a ball ache when you get a new router.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.