"Smart" homes

ha ha unpicked my LG TV now - very close to being able to turn it on/off and change channel with Alexa now - "wheres the f**king remote?" "who cares!"

I'm kind of interested in Smart heating - has anyone installed it themselves? I have a thermostat thing with a receiver attaced to the boiler - is it simply a case of swapping this out and matching up the wires?

You have to question if having your on line presence (digital life) compromised (identity/financial/personal details/browsing history direct from your ISP) is worth the convenience of being able to turn your heating up half an hour before you get home, or switch your lights on without getting off you arse?

Even if you think you have your network locked down (strong passwords, up to date security patches, AV software, etc.) it will never be 100% secure; just slightly more difficult to break into.

A WiFi network is only as strong as its weakest component. Do you really think a £15 smart lamp is going to have the latest security? How do you even apply security patches to a lamp anyway?

Just for interest (or to scare the crap out of you):
https://www.ehacking.net/2017/02/hijacker-wifi-hacking-suite-for-android.html
https://gizmodo.com/5986190/lay-waste-to-wireless-networks-with-this-hacktastic-nexus-7

So i bought a smart kettle, alexa thing, some bulbs and looking at other stuff. I have set up a private network with strong encryption for these devices. I have updated passes and such to so i am confident of security. I am going to look at linking it to a home file/media server i have built to for a sweet all around the home system.

So i bought a smart kettle, alexa thing, some bulbs and looking at other stuff. I have set up a private network with strong encryption for these devices. I have updated passes and such to so i am confident of security. I am going to look at linking it to a home file/media server i have built to for a sweet all around the home system.
Wtf is a smart kettle?

Wtf is a smart kettle?
lol i can tell it to start boiling just by saying "alexa, boil the kettle please" all whilst i am still in bed after just waking. In winter this is vital as the kitchen gets so little use before 5pm having it heat up just for a brew is uneconomical, it is big. So i can dash in stick some coffee in the press to brew and run back for a quick shower and then my coffee is sorted.

I want to see if i can get my coffee machine thing to work with those smart timer power plug things, if not i'll buy a smart one price depending.

lol i can tell it to start boiling just by saying "alexa, boil the kettle please" all whilst i am still in bed after just waking. In winter this is vital as the kitchen gets so little use before 5pm having it heat up just for a brew is uneconomical, it is big. So i can dash in stick some coffee in the press to brew and run back for a quick shower and then my coffee is sorted.

I want to see if i can get my coffee machine thing to work with those smart timer power plug things, if not i'll buy a smart one price depending.
Yes but you've still got to put water in it. Piece of shit. ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.