Smart meters - what is the purpose?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bluethrunthru, 11 Sep 2017.

1. East Level 2

East Level 2

Yet they are still rolling out the old ones which don't work if you change supplier, even though they spend a load of time suggesting you change supplier.
    Most simple electrical items come with a power rating in watts so it's easy to work out the current being drawn. It's more complicated for goods which don't specify the percentage at lower settings: For example a 900W microwave might have 3 or 4 lower settings which don't have the power specified. A smart meter might help to calculate that current.
    Another possible use is working out which fuel is cheaper for a specific task: Bunging a ding meal in the Microwave for ten minutes from frozen or in the gas oven for half an hour.
    But overall I'd guess the benefits are dwarfed by the costs of installing them nationwide.

2. quiet_riot

quiet_riot

IT Nerd
    Is it not as simple as:

- don't fill the kettle to the brim for every brew
    - don't leave the oven on for ages with nothing in it
    - unplug devices when they've stopped charging

etc etc?

3. cibaman

cibaman

The original theory was that they would reduce energy demand. People would monitor their useage, turn off appliances when demand is highest etc. What they've found is that a small number of people take a greater interest in their energy consumption patterns for about a month after they've been installed but then lose interest.

4. marco

marco

they keep getting intouch to install but i fuck them off,not bothred im fine as i am

5. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

I wouldn't live in or buy a house with one in, many reasons stated in previous posts, but rest assured, if it fucks up, and says you've used 'x' amount more than you have, they won't, for one single solitary moment, have it that it's a mistake/fuck-up by said meter and they will take steps to make sure you pay, although having said that, I think the guy who's meter read he'd used over £9,000 worth of electricity in a day managed to persuade a court he didn't use £9,000 worth of electricity in a day.

6. Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Gilluminati Slayer
    Can you sideload Kodi on to them?

7. talkativesprout

talkativesprout

The y can be read from their end without the need human meter readers. Estimated bill are a nonsense though, how they managed to sneak that in is amazing.

8. Ifwecouldjust.......

Ifwecouldjust.......

Charges you the right rate all the time so you can't fall into arrears i guess.........

9. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

professional underacheiver
    not really how they are being sold though is it? This "benefit" hardly gets a mention on the ad. Its all about how a smart meter puts you in control - just can't see how tbh

10. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

professional underacheiver
    Are you Mark Lamarr................???