So this Pep doesn’t focus on tackling nonsense

I much prefer the English pundits on American streams. Think Warren Barton is one of them. No agenda and a balanced technical oversight

A lot of people make deliberate nonsensical statements on various subjects in order to impress their target audience, so over the years, City have been on the end of many deliberate nonsensical statements (plenty by people who now say the exact opposite) because there are an alleged 650 million morons out there waiting to gobble it up.

But wheras Pep obviously doesn't coach tackling, he, or his coaches, have certainly been coaching defending & in particular the art of avoiding the neccessity of tackling, in the first place, in this system, & the results have been miraculous.

If you look in recent games at incidents where it's gone slightly wrong, & some of comically bad efforts by individuals to put it right, it shows just how good Pep has been, to keep such calamities down to a minimum.

Indeed, the media though keep peddling the line and looking like idiots.

If Pep actually had to teach first team squad members how to tackle - as opposed to defend - one would be concerned about what they were doing in the squad in the first place.

Players get to practice tackling as part of the other drills they do. I guess you could do some drills to practice slide tackling - I know Frank Lampard used to practice that on his own - but it should not be necessary. And I don't think you can teach a player to tackle like Otamendi.

The overriding thing though is that Pep won't want his players making many tackles in the first place.

The famous quote from the world's greatest ever left back Paolo Maldini, part of the best back four ever, sums it up nicely:

"If I have to make a tackle, then I have already made a mistake."

Phil Thomson came out with a rare moment of sense regarding that on Saturday & the few number of mistakes made regarding where & when to make challenges, compared to last season & also the centre backs stepping into midfield & getting that right & how brave & precise it needs to be, in order to work.

When you hear people like him suddenly say something like that, it really makes you wonder how they can see that & yet talk such complete fucking childish bollocks most of he time. I really do wonder if most of them are just basically talking like idiots for he sake of it half the time, to appeal to idiots.

Or perhaps someone sits them all down & gives them a coaching lesson once a year to try & avoid them making career ending moments of stupidity.

I always remember his former team mate Phil Neal commenting on how he, PN, rarely tackled: his objective was to avoid having to do so by intercepting passes before they got to winger he was up against.

Tackling? It's something you pick up as you are playing in your youth. To be honest, once you've reached say the age of 14/15, they can't teach you anything technical, you're basically 'there'.
Physically, you need to grow and mature, and tactically, obviously lots to learn, but not technically.
So, these underage players, that have the skills, although not the physique, are kept on in the hope they grow to withstand the rigours of top level footie. Just hoping that Foden gets there. Diaz looks like he'll be a strong little bull.

If I may be childish for a moment, the hardest player in football, certainly in my 57 years, has to be Duncan Ferguson. While burgling a nice house the two thugs/thieves see a huge figure emerge from the darkness. It's Mr F. Mr F hospitalises one of 'em and the other guy runs away. The police praise Mr F for acting bravely and responsibly. He was a pretty decent player - plagued by injuries though.
Duncan Ferguson was the only player I can think of who did time in jail for an on-field assault. He was already on probation for a night club brawl when, playing for Rangers, he headbutted John McStay of Raith Rovers. The referee gave him a yellow card and the courts gave him three months!

what does being a luddite have to do with Media bias against City? Are our players robots? If they were, it would explain a lot. Especially KDB
the media in this country are of the old world of the traditional clubs dominance, so much so that they even deny that Peps attacking philosophy can win the prem. They would prefer the old world of hoofball that keeps their team on top.

It actually quite fucks me off because at long last this countries game can improve and the likes of Andy fucking Gray want to hold us back just cos they hate City

I much prefer the English pundits on American streams. Think Warren Barton is one of them. No agenda and a balanced technical oversight
I don't care for Barton - Fox announcers are by-in-large terrible (astonishingly, by design, as Fox executives want to water-down analysis so as to appeal to the novice viewer, and hire announcers accordingly); Barton's commentary is bland (but not insipid as most of the other commentators for Fox are).

NBC's English pundits, are, however, uniformly excellent.

Duncan Ferguson was the only player I can think of who did time in jail for an on-field assault. He was already on probation for a night club brawl when, playing for Rangers, he headbutted John McStay of Raith Rovers. The referee gave him a yellow card and the courts gave him three months!
We can all name a few who should have been dealt with by the courts. Why do tv pundits think that football authorities deal with on-pitch assaults rather than the courts. Attempting to snap anyone’s leg is punishable with a prison sentence. Why does football think it’s exempt from the rule of law ? The so-called football authorities are not authorities at all - they’re private companies with accounts filed at Companies House.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.