South America

As I'm an FOC I'll probably do the touristy routes and pretty slowly, but sounds great
Aye you'd be fine! You can get to Everest base camp on a diet of beer, pizza and doughnuts all the way. Just have to take it slow, it's only the altitude that makes it difficult.

Did you pay for tours to go to Sugarloaf etc...?

From what I have read many say you should try and do those trips yourself as the costs of the tours build up massively.

One thing mate, did you have jabs when you went?
No need to pay for the tours; just get a bus or the metro(underground) from outside your hotel. Or if that's too adventurous (lol) just take an uber they are about half the price of a taxi.

The prices have all come down now, I also was here in 2011 and it was expensive. Now the political troubles here mean that you are getting more Reals to the Pound. So a pint (620ml) in a bottle is 10 reals so around £2.30.

Get yourself the Halifax credit card (Clarity) it has no foreign charges and try to use the Bradesco cash machines as they don't charge a fee. The Santander ones, as an example, charge 20 Reals just to withdraw money.

You'll need your yellow fever certificate, though i've never been asked to show it. You'll need to take the injection 10 days before travel.

No need to pay for the tours; just get a bus or the metro(underground) from outside your hotel. Or if that's too adventurous (lol) just take an uber they are about half the price of a taxi.

The prices have all come down now, I also was here in 2011 and it was expensive. Now the political troubles here mean that you are getting more Reals to the Pound. So a pint (620ml) in a bottle is 10 reals so around £2.30.

Get yourself the Halifax credit card (Clarity) it has no foreign charges and try to use the Bradesco cash machines as they don't charge a fee. The Santander ones, as an example, charge 20 Reals just to withdraw money.

You'll need your yellow fever certificate, though i've never been asked to show it. You'll need to take the injection 10 days before travel.

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

On the injections, I thought you only need yellow fever certificates if coming from the likes of Angola?

Do you absolutely have to have the injections?

A massive phobia of needles puts me off hugely, but if it needs to be done then I will have to grin and bear it.

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

On the injections, I thought you only need yellow fever certificates if coming from the likes of Angola?

Do you absolutely have to have the injections?

A massive phobia of needles puts me off hugely, but if it needs to be done then I will have to grin and bear it.
I've been to every country in South America (except those 3 little shitty ones at the top right) and never had to show my certificate. So it's your choice. Having said that 'man up' and get the fucking injection and have the Rabies vaccine one at the same time. That's 3 injections but it will give you an extra 24 hours to find help when you're bitten by a vampire bat :-) Oh yeah get hepatitis A vaccine and hepatitis B (if you tell them you have sex with men it's free) lol

I've been to every country in South America (except those 3 little shitty ones at the top right) and never had to show my certificate. So it's your choice. Having said that 'man up' and get the fucking injection and have the Rabies vaccine one at the same time. That's 3 injections but it will give you an extra 24 hours to find help when you're bitten by a vampire bat :-) Oh yeah get hepatitis A vaccine and hepatitis B (if you tell them you have sex with men it's free) lol

Ok mate, will do.

Cheers for the info.

Ok mate, will do.

Cheers for the info.
Definitely get the halifax credit card it will save you a fortune.

Really you should do as pee dubay says and see if you can get over to Bolivia and see Salar de Uyuni. Definitely do the waterfalls here in brazil, if you stay in Foz do Iguaçu you'll be able to cross the border into Paraguay, not much to see but it's a tick in the box, also from there (Foz do Iguaçu) they have buses that take you straight to the waterfalls, both in Brazil and Argentina.

btw you can do both sugarloaf and the cristo in the same day.

When I went to Foz do iguacu we stayed at hotel just up the road began with a c. Will check it out but the hotel inside the park is beautiful but expensive. Have a great time. Oh I booked a b&b on line think it was called brasil b&b on line or similar. Great place fabulous people cheaper than hotel .

We couldn't drink in the hotel, just far too expensive.
Went up sugarloaf, which was fantastic, Christ the Redeemer which was rammed and cloudy.
The rest lunch and dinners plus drinks.
A tiny glass of beer, probably about a third of a pint, was $4.

We do have expensive tastes, but not there! Had some good homely meals in local restaurants as the hotel was too pricey.
We ate out but we were based between Copacabana and Ipanema beaches.
Not to mention the price of decent (preop) "guides" these days.

Definitely get the halifax credit card it will save you a fortune.

Really you should do as pee dubay says and see if you can get over to Bolivia and see Salar de Uyuni. Definitely do the waterfalls here in brazil, if you stay in Foz do Iguaçu you'll be able to cross the border into Paraguay, not much to see but it's a tick in the box, also from there (Foz do Iguaçu) they have buses that take you straight to the waterfalls, both in Brazil and Argentina.

btw you can do both sugarloaf and the cristo in the same day.

I will note this all down mate.

The waterfalls I most certainly want to visit and the idea of crossing into Paraguay is definitely an idea to consider.

I am looking at peak time I guess, with the idea of going in December/ January, but I want to witness summer in Brazil.

Very much appreciated. Thanks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.