South America

I've spent quite a bit of time in South America, and I love the place. I don't know where to start to be honest in recommending places to visit, but one thing I can say is it's a stunningly beautiful part of the world that is full of unexpected surprises.

Arequipa in Puru, the lake district of Argentina, the Torres del Piane national park in Chile, whale watching in Cape Valdez, the salt flats of Boliva, the Amazon rain forest, Beunos Aires.......

It's difficult recommending somewhere to visit when a single area like Patagonia is half the size of Europe.

It's a bit like someone asking 'I'm visiting Europe, where are the best places to visit?'

What I'll add is you will be enchanted wherever you go. It is a wonderful part of the world, full of beauty, stunning scenery and friendly people.

Just go and visit the place. I can't recommend it enough. I'm sorry I can't suggest anything specific but that's because wherever you go, you'll have memories that will live with you for a lifetime.

Don't take British pounds with you when you go though, take US dollars. You'll find it more or less impossible to change sterling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was in Rio for the World Cup. Stayed near the bohemian area and would recommend a visit. Cobbled streets and old buildings, versus copacabana/Ipanema. Lookup 'Rio Scenarium' for a genuine local nightlife experience, which was recommended to me by a local work colleague. Make sure you get there early. Longest queues I've seen to get in a place since a rave at Bowlers in the early 90's!!!!

Looking down on Rio from Sugarloaf/Christ the redeemer, it is the most aesthetically beautiful city I've been to. Definitely feels grimy up close, but it's not first world and you should be aware of that.

Also, don't wander off the beaten track. It can be a dangerous city. Not trying to put you off, but lookup the do's and don't do's before you go.

Also, don't wander off the beaten track. It can be a dangerous city. Not trying to put you off, but lookup the do's and don't do's before you go.
Same with most big S. American cities i think, pretty safe in certain specific areas, but then there are no go zones too. BsAs for example, you can instantly feel the difference between the different areas (barrios), some feel fine to walk about yourself in the evening, others you're constantly on edge. Not a big issue if you do a bit of research and also follow your instinct, but the areas can be very close together.

well its pissing it down here at the moment, so don't bother with Ecuador, even though its the most beautiful country in south america

Right.

Itinerary has been firmed up, and most things have been booked at this point, so just trying to plan each day out to make the most of it. Really looking forward to it. I'm going in mid March and come back on 2nd April.

Bit gutted I couldn't squeeze in some time to go to Uyuni or Arequipa, but I'm pleased otherwise. I suppose its a good excuse to go back anyway.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations (restaurants/activities etc) in the following places?

Lima (1.5 days)
Cusco (2 days)
Machu Picchu (1 day)
Santiago (2 days)
Rio (3 days)
Iguazu Falls (1.5 days)
Colonia (day trip to Uruguay)
Buenos Aires (3.5 days)

At Machu Picchu I've booked the Huayna Picchu climb - how does it compare to getting up to the away section at Newcastle?

I'm into my football so hoping to catch a game in Lima or Cusco (fixtures not out yet), the Rio Cup Final (hopefully at the Maracana), and then I've got 4 games in Buenos Aires - Huracan, Velez, Independiente, and Boca Juniors.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.