Southern Italy

Southern Italy is almost as beautiful as northern England, just has better weather.

I went to Puglia about seven or eight years ago. Flew ryanair Stansted - Bari and stayed in Bari, Otranto, Ostuni and Peschici. It was a really good holiday, the scenery wasn't as attractive as other parts of Italy but the food was great and the area was largely free of tourists. I heard no English in Otranto, Ostuni is more on the tourist trail but is a stunning town. Bari and Lecce are worth visiting as are most of the towns (probably not Foggia though). Trani, Martina Franca..etc.

I would say knowing a tiny bit of Italian would be useful and if I recall correctly vegetables featured heavily in the cuisine plus loads of fish on the coast, meat was less prevalent.

Naples is a must see as far as I am concerned...ok, so it may be dirty, noisy, overcrowded and the traffic is absolutely mental. But the Historic Centre is a UNESCO World Heritage Site with amazing monuments, churches and palazzos at every turn. There are museums and art galleries that compare with any in Italy. There is an incredible underground tour of the old Greek minings which the current city is built upon. Go there for a few days and Naples can be your base for brilliant day trips to Vesuvius, Herculaneum, Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri and the Amalfi Coast. Believe me, the pros far outweigh the cons.

I went to Puglia about seven or eight years ago. Flew ryanair Stansted - Bari and stayed in Bari, Otranto, Ostuni and Peschici. It was a really good holiday, the scenery wasn't as attractive as other parts of Italy but the food was great and the area was largely free of tourists. I heard no English in Otranto, Ostuni is more on the tourist trail but is a stunning town. Bari and Lecce are worth visiting as are most of the towns (probably not Foggia though). Trani, Martina Franca..etc.

I would say knowing a tiny bit of Italian would be useful and if I recall correctly vegetables featured heavily in the cuisine plus loads of fish on the coast, meat was less prevalent.
I can order beer in any language known to man :-) my Italian is passable been loads of times but mostly driven which is probably why I've never been south of Rome.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.