Southern Italy

My Mrs and one of my sons went in Oct but I was too ill to go.

Flew into Brindisi with Ryan and stayed in Monopoli. She loved it and we are going again next year.
I hope he didn't try anything on!
He has somewhat of a reputation with other people's wives, you know.

I went to Puglia about seven or eight years ago. Flew ryanair Stansted - Bari and stayed in Bari, Otranto, Ostuni and Peschici. It was a really good holiday, the scenery wasn't as attractive as other parts of Italy but the food was great and the area was largely free of tourists. I heard no English in Otranto, Ostuni is more on the tourist trail but is a stunning town. Bari and Lecce are worth visiting as are most of the towns (probably not Foggia though). Trani, Martina Franca..etc.

I would say knowing a tiny bit of Italian would be useful and if I recall correctly vegetables featured heavily in the cuisine plus loads of fish on the coast, meat was less prevalent.
Found a nice looking hotel in Ostuni with a cookery school and the town looks OK.

Nice one. Its a really attractive town. I'm not a beach person but I enjoyed the coast nearby, loads of places to visit in its vicinity as well. One think I do remember is that we had to the park the car outside of the town and the hotel had to come up and pick us up from the car park due to the driving restrictions in the centre.

I watched City play Blackburn on the hotel's Italian teletext, we either lost or drew, those were the days!

We got cheapish late deal flights this year with Thomson (TUI now) to Catania in Sicily. Taormina's naff - way too touristy - but Syracuse is good. Day trip to the mainland (train actually goes on the ferry across the straits of Messina). Film museum in Catania - you can sit at a mock-up of Don Corleone's desk...

Italy and Italians are generally ace imo. We’ve had a couple of good ones! Capital ‘I’ would be a nice change in the title of this thread x

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.