The Harry Kane Team 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes me laugh when you hear Spurs fans being all high and mighty on the rights and wrongs of money in football. They had a go at buying the league in the 90s and Sugar did a pretty piss poor job of doing it, who remembers Quinn, Rosler, Walsh and Stevie Lomas playing them off the park in the 5-2?

The glass ceiling is there for Spurs as all funds are diverted into stadium building, does anyone think Kane and Ali will stick around because their new stadium has a micro brewery and fancy cheese board?

I know that many Spurs fans do behave like that but I reiterate that that isn't my stance. As I said, the only thing that jarred with me was the notion that it was somehow praiseworthy to sneer at fans of other clubs for continuing to support those clubs even when they haven't won much, if anything, of late. It seemed, to me, to be an especially odd thing for a City fan to say, given your history of sticking with your club through some really bad times, and sadly symptomatic of modern attitudes within football.

I know that many Spurs fans do behave like that but I reiterate that that isn't my stance. As I said, the only thing that jarred with me was the notion that it was somehow praiseworthy to sneer at fans of other clubs for continuing to support those clubs even when they haven't won much, if anything, of late. It seemed, to me, to be an especially odd thing for a City fan to say, given your history of sticking with your club through some really bad times, and sadly symptomatic of modern attitudes within football.
How about when an entire club is part of a group of five equally diseased arrogant bastards and sneers at other clubs by demanding gate receipts should be retained by home clubs and threatens a breakaway league if their demands are not met?
Spurs were an integral part of the "big-clubs only" mentality that spoilt English football for many years. Chelsea and City have pissed on your chips and perhaps the resultant gloating hurts even more as you were setting yourselves up to be one of the gloating clubs.

How about when an entire club is part of a group of five equally diseased arrogant bastards and sneers at other clubs by demanding gate receipts should be retained by home clubs and threatens a breakaway league if their demands are not met?
Spurs were an integral part of the "big-clubs only" mentality that spoilt English football for many years. Chelsea and City have pissed on your chips and perhaps the resultant gloating hurts even more as you were setting yourselves up to be one of the gloating clubs.
In 1983 Spurs were the first English PLC football club. They (along with the other money grabbers) created this landscape, we didn't.

It will be interesting when they play the rags at old toilet in a fortnight. If they can overcome Mourinho’s brand of anti-football and come away with a win, they will definitely be our main competition this season now they appear to have got over their Wembley hoodoo.

Tottenham are a huge club with a glorious history including winning the league twice (56 and 66 years ago).

Can't wait to see all your best players leave. Walker has started the revolution and many will soon follow.

Spurs were always a stepping stone club and they always will be. Absolutely zero ambition from the owners to win anything significant just like Arsenal.

Makes me laugh when you hear Spurs fans being all high and mighty on the rights and wrongs of money in football. They had a go at buying the league in the 90s and Sugar did a pretty piss poor job of doing it, who remembers Quinn, Rosler, Walsh and Stevie Lomas playing them off the park in the 5-2?

The glass ceiling is there for Spurs as all funds are diverted into stadium building, does anyone think Kane and Ali will stick around because their new stadium has a micro brewery and fancy cheese board?

I generally agree with you there bud, Spurs fans have never really been a set of fans I could talk with about football, many angry and quite deluded, but to be fair to Jim, reading his posts on here, he isn't one of them and has always been very balanced and honest in his views.

wow just was perusing the goal scorer and assists tables and glanced at the shots table. Harry Kane has taken by far the most shots in the premier league with 50. The next highest is Lukaku with 32. Considering he has only scored 6 goals that is a ridiculous amount of shots. This seems a bit wasteful to me and surprised the amount of shots he is taking never gets brought up as a negative.

You make a good point and I've brought this up before on the Harry Kane thread but it got buried in misunderstanding (to be polite).

His high shooting style is part of the reason he scores a lot. I referred to it as a law of averages (look it up folks) kind of thing. A guy with his ability in theory should score a good number if he shoots a lot. It's very comparable to Ronaldo when he first rocked up at R. Madrid; he'd just shoot at every opportunity and unsurprisingly he scored a load too.

Obviously its major limitation is when he's deprived of shooting opportunities. This will happen in games either where teams outplay Tottenham completely (rare) or against teams set up to stifle them. That's not to say he won't score in these games. But it's likely that he won't score in a game that he's not able to get 7-8 shots off.

In 1983 Spurs were the first English PLC football club. They (along with the other money grabbers) created this landscape, we didn't.

Fellas, you're missing the point.

I'm not criticising City for anything they've done. Nor am I exonerating Spurs for anything they've done. So implying hypocrisy on my part is something of a straw man.

I repeat, for the third time, my only intervention was against the notion that it should somehow be deemed praiseworthy to sneer at other fans who stick by their clubs despite winning little to nothing. Surely that is symptomatic of so much that is wrong with fan culture in modern football? It seemed all the stranger to me for jimmygrimble to write what he did given that City fans so emphatically did stick by their club through do many thin years.

Fellas, you're missing the point.

I'm not criticising City for anything they've done. Nor am I exonerating Spurs for anything they've done. So implying hypocrisy on my part is something of a straw man.

I repeat, for the third time, my only intervention was against the notion that it should somehow be deemed praiseworthy to sneer at other fans who stick by their clubs despite winning little to nothing. Surely that is symptomatic of so much that is wrong with fan culture in modern football? It seemed all the stranger to me for jimmygrimble to write what he did given that City fans so emphatically did stick by their club through do many thin years.

They are not having a go at fans sticking by their clubs
It's about Spurs fans and others constantly bleating about City having/spending more money than other clubs
I think City's turnover is £400m that helps pay big wages/transfer fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.