Squad lists, rules and the end of the transfer window!

I presume Gunn is in the u21s? We need a 3rd GK.

Hope Navas goes. At the start of the summer I wanted him to stay but after seeing him in a few games I'm thinking there's no hope for him. If we need pace and crosses then keep Angelino on the bench.

Hope Nasri stays. IMO he could be one of our most important players if he gets a run in the side (and lets not let the fact that there are more popular players in his position get in the way of the best 11).

Hope Yaya goes (again I was hoping he'd stay but he hasn't looked like he has the pace when he has featured - maybe he is still rusty though).

Gunn is our 3rd keeper now.

With Zinchenko and Zucculini gone, Mangala almost gone and clearly not in the plans, it boils down to this:

Only 2 from the following list can make the CL squad:
Fernando
Yaya
Navas
Nasri
Bony

It's looking increasingly likely to me that Nasri will be one of them. After that for me it's a toss up between Fernando and Yaya for the other spot. I think Guardiola will go for Fernando.

Sane and Nacho only drop into the unlimited U21's once they have been at the club for 2 years, Nacho meets this requirement in January, then there will be a spot for Gabriel Jesus. (EDIT: For the CL).

I'd expect it to be Mangala, Yaya, Nasri and Bony that don't make the final squad for the CL. Or Caballero instead of Yaya and he uses Gunn as backup in the CL.

That's for the CL. It doesn't apply to the PL squad where they just have to be U21, regardless of nationality or how long they've been at the club.

Jesus will go straight into the Prem squad as an U21 player. For CL he would require one of the 17 spots - however - at that point Nacho* should get a spot as a U21 having been with us 2 years.
* assuming Nacho was registered ahead of the January deadline 2 years ago and the dates on the relevant paperwork and squad rules match up!

We are building up a bit of a problem where many of these Under 21's will eventualy require a spot within the 17 but i guess its a nice problem to have!

Jesus will go straight into the Prem squad as an U21 player. For CL he would require one of the 17 spots - however - at that point Nacho* should get a spot as a U21 having been with us 2 years.
* assuming Nacho was registered ahead of the January deadline 2 years ago and the dates on the relevant paperwork and squad rules match up!

We are building up a bit of a problem where many of these Under 21's will eventualy require a spot within the 17 but i guess its a nice problem to have!

Yeah the problem with signing U21's is we aren't quite signing them young enough which obviously has negatives to it. Correct me if i'm wrong but if we sign them at 18 they then would have the chance to become club trained (3 years under the age of 21), although the FA want to make it 4 years. So Sane and Gabriel Jesus will be unlimited for now as you say but become part of the 17 once they're are 22, I think Iheanacho wouldn't count as club trained either. Although the thought of Brahim becoming a club trained player is brilliant.

Last edited:
With Zinchenko and Zucculini gone, Mangala almost gone and clearly not in the plans, it boils down to this:

Only 2 from the following list can make the CL squad:
Fernando
Yaya
Navas
Nasri
Bony

It's looking increasingly likely to me that Nasri will be one of them. After that for me it's a toss up between Fernando and Yaya for the other spot. I think Guardiola will go for Fernando.

Unless he drops Caballero and makes Gunn 2nd choice for the CL. I too think he'll drop Yaya though.

friday_gifdump_12_27.gif

Yeah the problem with signing U21's is we aren't quite signing them young enough which obviously has negatives to it. Correct me if i'm wrong but if we sign them at 18 they then would have the chance to become club trained (3 years under the age of 21), although the FA want to make it 4 years. So Sane and Gabriel Jesus will be unlimited for now as you say but become part of the 17 once they're are 22, I think Iheanacho wouldn't count as club trained either.

It all gets a bit tricky as different comps have differing rules and they change regularly + you never know exactly when someone signed. Denayer is in that position where he joined the club the same summer he turned 18. Did we register him before or after his birtherday? As I understand it, if it was after he misses out on both CT and AT status making him less valuable to all English clubs. I think the same happened to Pogba where he left before he had done enough time to get CT and AT status so he will be taking a 17 spot at the rags.

Unless he drops Caballero and makes Gunn 2nd choice for the CL. I too think he'll drop Yaya though.

I think it's too big a risk to have Gunn as second choice, he's not played a senior game yet.

I think Nasri looks a much better fit at number 8 than Yaya and he can also play as one of the 3 forwards which Yaya certainly couldn't play as one of the wingers. The only place Yaya looks more suitable is as the pivot, but I don't think he's got the appetite to play there anymore, so Nasri looks the obvious choice if it's one or the other.

I'm surprised Navas hasn't been strongly linked with a move yet. He can only play right wing and he's at very best 3rd choice there now. Looks very much a square peg in this squad and he'd be a complete waste of a squad place in my view.

It all gets a bit tricky as different comps have differing rules and they change regularly + you never know exactly when someone signed. Denayer is in that position where he joined the club the same summer he turned 18. Did we register him before or after his birtherday? As I understand it, if it was after he misses out on both CT and AT status making him less valuable to all English clubs. I think the same happened to Pogba where he left before he had done enough time to get CT and AT status so he will be taking a 17 spot at the rags.
I think this summer we'll have a couple of unhappy players who will miss out (Yaya to name one) but next summer we'll be fine though as we are beginning to ship out the old guard/underperforming players, we are also looking to the future now and signing younger players. I think we have become better at this in recent years, as i've just edited into my post, the thought of Brahim Diaz being a club trained player is brilliant. Obviously there is much more risk to signing 16/17 year olds.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.