Squad shape/formations

I think the main problem with three at the back is that you are dependent on your CBs to pass through the lines, whereas with two CBs it is the defensive midfielder. I'd rather have Yaya, Gundogan or Dino launch attacks than Kompany or Otamendi.

But all three players have passing options since the two men on either end of the line aren't limited by the touchline like your full backs in a back 4 would be. So you gain a player higher up.

But all three players have passing options since the two men on either end of the line aren't limited by the touchline like your full backs in a back 4 would be. So you gain a player higher up.
I suppose so. But there were definitely times in the West ham game where the midfielders were all pushed up quite high and it felt as if was left to the CBs to break the lines.

Peps preferred system is fluid and includes the GK, building on the total football best seen in the Dutch team of Cruyff. The standardisation of pitch size in the Premier League will help create space. He wants players to understand space and adapt to best exploit it rather than be restricted by a formation.

Clearly there has to be a game plan, roles and tactics but players are expected to think on the field rather than conform to simplistic computer game formations. It is a concept outside the current practice of how most managers want their teams to play that requires a certain type of player and them learning to adapt.

It seems people enjoyed the discussion on the 3-6-1 formation so I thought I'd write about something that everyone was talking about after the Brighton game, the use of 3-5-2 against opposition that just sit back.

As some people may have noticed, Fernandinho's role was essentially useless in the Brighton game, we did not need a destroyer, and rather Toure's passing range would have benefitted our wingbacks in running in behind the defense alot more than they did (Danilo and Walker were not utilized very well in my opinion because of this). Regardless, it seems City have found alot of stability in defending with 5 at the back, but if we can transition to a more attacking formation I think that would be ideal, I can only think of Toure who can accomplish this.

So my thought is to try a hybrid formation, that allows us to defend in the 5-3-2, but attack in a 4-3-1-2 (or 4-3-3 false 9 whichever you like). Here is the formation and players I would think to use:

4-3-1-2 Breaking Down the Bus Formation:

Walker-----Kompany---------Stones------Mendy
---------Kevin--------Toure--------D Silva
-----------------------B Silva
---------------Aguero---------Jesus

5-3-2 Defending in Deep Block

Walker-----Kompany-----Toure------Stones--------Mendy
----------Kevin--------B Silva-------D Silva
---------------Aguero-----------Jesus

The defensive transition is simple, B Silva and Toure in the middle simply slot back one spot, after the team recovers the ball and continues the attack Toure and B Silva can push further up again. Also, I believe this would only work with Toure because his role is simply to clear the ball because he is soo tall, Gundogan or Fernandinho are too short to slot back.

I think in this way, the many attacking players we have can be used more often, Sterling can slot in any of the 3 forward positions, Sane for any of the front 2, Gundogan for Kevin or D Silva. Foden, Zinchenko and Roberts could possibly see rotation as well (if they stay in the squad).

Important to note in the 4-3-1-2 obviously Walker and Mendy have less attacking freedom, but I think the compromise is a fair one, Real Madrid seem to be able to handle it with Carvahal and Marcelo stretched out wide and Kroos-Casemiro-Modric helping defend a bit more.

Looks like a 4-4-2 Diamond to me. Worth trying as it affords us the opportunity to use more key players in every matchday squad. I think the Real Madrid comparison is also fitting. If it can give our attack a little more dynamism that should take care of the few more goals we are likely to concede as a result.

I'm just relieved/impressed by how much more tactically assured and flexible our team has become. Remember that horrible match under Mancini (I'm thinking CL, against BVB maybe?) where he tried to switch formation and the back 3 was such an utter shambles that he had to switch back 10 minutes later? We've come a long way since then.

I'm just relieved/impressed by how much more tactically assured and flexible our team has become. Remember that horrible match under Mancini (I'm thinking CL, against BVB maybe?) where he tried to switch formation and the back 3 was such an utter shambles that he had to switch back 10 minutes later? We've come a long way since then.
Ajax away was pretty much the beginning of the end for Bob. It was like he was deliberately trying to make Lescott and Richards look like muppets. He never really seemed to have the dressing room after that.

Pretty much agree with OP.

We were so dominant in possession against Brighton that we should have gone to a back 4.

Moreover, Yaya is far, far better at making killer passes from deep than Fernandinho. IMO, back 4 with Yaya as pivot would have far better - maybe 4-1-3-2.

At any rate - we won the game eventually with a back 3 - so all's well.

One of my biggest annoyances was the non inclusion of Yaya!! It was soo obvious I expected Guardiola to sub him in at any moment, but it never came! Toure had the most consistent pre-eason, along with De Bruyne, that I was shocked to see his omission.

We won, sure, but a bad mistake I thought from PG!!

I think he was right to play Fernandinho. Brighton were too much of an unknown, with the players we have it's not worth risking Toure.

I doubt Fernandinho will continue to play there ahead of Toure/Gundogan as the season moves forward

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.