Squad shape/formations

I think he was right to play Fernandinho. Brighton were too much of an unknown, with the players we have it's not worth risking Toure.

I doubt Fernandinho will continue to play there ahead of Toure/Gundogan as the season moves forward

Disagree.

Play Toure first, change it at half time if not working.

It was really hard for anything creative being forced through the middle.

This

His passing ability is outstanding. He can play through balls, cross-field balls, chip over the top etc.

He can do all those things on occasion, but he cannot control play the way Yaya does, and he does not offer the same speed of ball through midfield, or creativity from deep or options to the person with possession.

There's a reason Yaya, at 34, played something like 85% of all possible minutes in the league last season after his return, and it's not because Fernandinho can do his job.

Yaya's role will definitely be the playmaker from deep against the shit sides at home, as it was last season.

I think picking Fernandinho there was right in this situation, because these games regularly catch out the big sides early season, when the crowd is roaring and the opposition playing out of their skin. We've fallen victim to a few ourself. I can certainly see an argument for changing to it, but we didn't have a problem linking defence with attack. The issue was breaking them down in the final third which I don't think Ya Ya would have influenced too much.

I think there was a better argument for changing the two wing-backs to the two wingers on the bench, and I think we'd have seen that change if we hadn't scored when we did. As it was we could relax and give game time.

Did you lot fail see our first goal?

Teams who park the bus are most vulnerable when they have the ball.

Having the defensive security and stability of Fernandinho instead of Yaya allows the more attacking players (De Bruyne in this case) to press and win the ball high up the pitch at the only stage when Brighton players are out of position.

So not only is playing Fernandinho more defensively stable, it also creates chances to attack just in a very different and more unpredictable way.

** I await the "you just hate Yaya" bullshit from the usual suspects but it's not just our game, there's a few examples this weekend alone **

Against teams who park the bus you have to make the pitch as wide as possible, stretch the defence, that means playing with genuine width. We have the wingers and full backs to do the job without question. I believe we will be much better breaking teams down with a 433. I don't see us continuing with 3 CB's much longer, we have no strength in depth in the position anyway, although it's a good option to have for difficult games. Maybe a reason Pep is getting the player's used to the system early doors is long term planning.

Against teams who park the bus you have to make the pitch as wide as possible, stretch the defence, that means playing with genuine width. We have the wingers and full backs to do the job without question. I believe we will be much better breaking teams down with a 433. I don't see us continuing with 3 CB's much longer, we have no strength in depth in the position anyway, although it's a good option to have for difficult games. Maybe a reason Pep is getting the player's used to the system early doors is long term planning.

Agreed. 4-1-2-3 / 4-3-3 like last season is a better bet to breaking down defensive sides. But 5-3-2 could be a good option against stronger sides

As I kept thinking about our squad I had come onto the thought about how we can maximize players effectiveness, the mismatch of Danilo and Sane as a LWB are examples, and how we can get around the fact that Mendy is really our only recognized LB.

I think that player's preferred foot plays a big role in where they are effective, and have outlined two rotations that would work with 3 atb if Pep persists with this:

Note: The CBs aren't mentioned because they aren't what im highlighting

Squad 1:

----------CB---------CB----------CB-------
Walker-------Dinho--------D Silva---------Mendy
---------Kevin----------Aguero--------Jesus

Squad 2:
---------CB----------CB----------CB---------
Walker-------Toure--------Gundogan----------Danilo
--------B Silva----------Sterling----------Sane

Reasons:

1) Giving Walker, Danilo and Mendy an opposite footed partner ahead of them who are B Silva Sane and Jesus respectively. In Squad 1 Kevin is in front of Walker because his crossing ability is just too good. Sane is no longer required as a wingback (this being my main reason for the formation, and Danilo of course)

2) One playmaker in the front 3, Kevin and B Silva, with opposite foots, Kevin can cross from the right (amazingly) while B Silva would cut in, offering two different sorts of playmakers. They aren't pacy, but that is not the point, they offer the same role that Eriksen at spurs has for Alli and Kane.

3) If Sane is better on the left than right (which many people including Pep may agree), than having Danilo behind might make sense, Sane can make vertical runs while Danilo can cut in.

4) Midfield pairing, while it seems odd to play D Silva this far back, next to Dinho he can perhaps be given more freedom, usually midfield duo's have a more creative option and a defensive option. Gundogan and Toure are paired because I see them as kind of hybrids, not quite as attacking as Silva or defensive as Dinho.

5) In the front 3 the aim is to have a playmaker and two goal scorers, as well as one forward who is better at crossing (Kevin and Sane) to lessen the predictability of crossing only coming from fullbacks.

6) This can be easily seen as 3-5-2 with Kevin and B Silva dropping next to D Silva and Gundogan respectively.

7) Always one Silva on the pitch, we should never be Silva-less.

Possible Negatives:

1) Questionable midfield duo-pairing. I think D Silva can work in this role, he still has license to attack but is more used for controlling the tempo of the game. Toure possibly doesn't have the legs to do it. It might be that Gundogan and D Silva would be perfect together as well.

2) Why not just use 4-3-3? In fairness the 3-4-3 is very similar to 4-3-3 if you just push up the central CB and drop the fullbacks slightly, but mainly because I think B Silva isn't a pure RW and better more interior and in Sterling I see someone who has excelled in a central attacking role, who has maybe been stifled being stuck out wide. His ability to carry the ball and run at CBs has impressed me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.