Squeeze

Weird, I was thinking today how no one mentions them on here.

Their first 8 or 9 singles were really good musically and lyrically, they got a bit slick for me after a while but stuff like Up The Junction, This is Love (or whatever) etc are really ace power pop/new wave tunes.

I rate them

Cheers TMQ. Good to see someone else rates them.

Am going to do a bit of a rant here so here goes;

The music that I listened to between 1976 and 1981 was sublime. It had everything. It had anger, it had witticism, it had lyrical genius, it had melody, it had fantastic muscianship. Not all of it granted but the stuff that I enjoyed had something priceless............ it had RELEVANCE.

I have tried some more recent stuff (Radiohead and that stupid bloody Rainbows thing) but I'm sorry (4HB in particular)...........it's the most sterile music I have ever heard. It's like a spam buttie after a three couse meal.

Where is the Passion?? Have you all lost it completely??

It's sad in a way. The most boring inane banal fingers up your bum tripe I have ever heard.

No wonder politics is dead, no wonder nobody cares about their neighbours anymore.

Rant over (and I didn't mention those who shall NOT be mentioned even once. I'm a good guy me). ;-)

mackenzie said:
Cheers TMQ. Good to see someone else rates them.

Am going to do a bit of a rant here so here goes;

The music that I listened to between 1976 and 1981 was sublime. It had everything. It had anger, it had witticism, it had lyrical genius, it had melody, it had fantastic muscianship. Not all of it granted but the stuff that I enjoyed had something priceless............ it had RELEVANCE.

I have tried some more recent stuff (Radiohead and that stupid bloody Rainbows thing) but I'm sorry (4HB in particular)...........it's the most sterile music I have ever heard. It's like a spam buttie after a three couse meal.

Where is the Passion?? Have you all lost it completely??

It's sad in a way. The most boring inane banal fingers up your bum tripe I have ever heard.

No wonder politics is dead, no wonder nobody cares about their neighbours anymore.

Rant over (and I didn't mention those who shall NOT be mentioned even once. I'm a good guy me). ;-)

I think part of the trouble is Mac that people tend to romanticise the past. Music has always been 90% shite and 10% good and it's still the same today. It's just that as we get older we lose touch with the new stuff and only get subjected to the mainstream stuff via radio 1 etc which on the whole is shite.

Radiohead are a bad example as they are a love or hate band I think but there are still some good bands out there but you have to look for them.

I've kinda lost touch with modern music to some degree these past few years for personal reasons having spent most of my life in bands etc i just needed a break lol but believe me there are still good passionate bands out there Mac!

Just because Coldplay are on the radio tv 24/7 doesnt mean they are the band of their generation it just means they are what the mainstream deem to be acceptable.

Things havent changed and they never will in my opinion but the past is always romanticised.

Allthough I am a Radiohead fan, I do see your point. They are a cold band and aren't warm and fuzzy. They kinda have a "life is shit and there is nothing you can do about it" vibe, reminds me of a modern day Pink Floyd.

So I balance this out with listening to plenty of 70's funk/R&B and soul. There is very little new music out there I enjoy. With technology and downloading bands can become "obsolete" very quick. Few things have substance these days........I do like "In Rainbows" though (-;

No, it isn't TMQ.

I am fully awake when it comes to those times and now. It is not an age thing, more a sadness that there is very little rebellion in the air. The young used to do that as a matter of course, and it led to much creativity.

Now we just have stadium fillers and a seemingly lethargic attitude to the next great thing by whoever. There is little relevance and no soul.

Although I fully expect to castigated for this by grumpy 20 odd year olds I will say one more thing.....you should have been there.

TheMightyQuinn said:
Though you did happen to grow up in a particularly politicised and exciting time in music lol

Yep, I was blessed. Never really understood that until recently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.