SS GB. If it happened today.....

SS-US appears to be a reality.

If in 4 weeks of power... it's not hard to see where 4 years will end up.

Caught up on the programme last night, must admit i haven't even heard of the book never mind read it.

If he spent less time smoking and staring blankly at things he'd get a lot more done!! i'll give it another couple of episodes but all seemed a little on the slow side for me.

As to the OP's question, i'd like to think we've enough about us to resist, personally i think the majority would, we're fairly tribal when it comes down to it, there'd obviously be a few collaborators but on the whole we'd fuck them back off into the sea.

I've read the book - they all die at the end.
People often concentrate on the negatives when considering if ww2 went the other way, but there would have been benefits too. Proper currywurst and frites for a start.

You'd never be able to hide in the North
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Mesut Ozil seemed to manage it easily enough a few weeks ago.

Was there much resistance when the Channel Isles were invaded? I know it is slightly different due to the land size and the small number of locals involved. Genuine question. Was there much resistance from the Channel Islanders during those dark days?
There was a lot of passive resistance but on Guernsey the four remaining Jews, none of whom were British citizens, were rounded up by the local police and sent to France, then to Auschwitz. So the British police effectively collaborated in the deportation of Jews, albeit they probably weren't aware of their ultimate fate. The local authorities were also were responsible for implementing anti-Jewish laws. There's an interesting piece in an Intelligence report compiled at the end of the war about the local attitude. It states:
When the Germans proposed to put their anti-Jewish measures into force, no protest whatsoever was raised by any of the Guernsey officials and they hastened to give the Germans every assistance. By contrast , when it was proposed to take steps against the Freemasons, of which there are many in Guernsey, the Bailiff [Alexander Coutanche ] made considerable protests and did everything possible to protect the Masons.

It has to be said though that many locals effectively ignored the laws, particularly on Jersey, and some sheltered Jews and assisted them to escape.

If it happened today, we'd probably outsource surrender negotiations to a call-centre in Mumbai and after 3 days of trying to make sense of anything they said and get past the script they were sticking to for reporting a washing machine breakdown, the Germans would give up.

There would have been virtually no resistance.
The well documented German plans were for EVERY able bodied Englishman between the ages of 17 - 45 to be taken to Europe as slave labour.
Edward VIII would have been installed as king with David Lloyd George as a puppet PM. They would have appealed for national unity under German command and would largely have got it.

Caught up on the programme last night, must admit i haven't even heard of the book never mind read it.

If he spent less time smoking and staring blankly at things he'd get a lot more done!! i'll give it another couple of episodes but all seemed a little on the slow side for me.

As to the OP's question, i'd like to think we've enough about us to resist, personally i think the majority would, we're fairly tribal when it comes down to it, there'd obviously be a few collaborators but on the whole we'd fuck them back off into the sea.

I agree about the programme, it looks right, well shot, but I thought they could have made more of the actual fighting that led to us falling and the shock this would cause us actually losing and how psychologically different groups within us reacted.

As for your saying you would like to think we had that tribal thing about us and would fight. I agree.

I remember on holiday years ago speaking to an old guy about us. He wondered why, as being four separate countries, we managed to be one.

I told him we are like four brothers living at home. Four mouthy, strong, pains in the arse, driving our mother mad. Arguing with each other, slagging each other and at times scrapping with each other.

But when one is attacked or threatened, then you are fighting us all. After we knock fuck out of whoever that may be, we go back to arguing, slagging and having the odd scrap again but know if any are in trouble we all are, but not as much as the cunts who attack us.

He got it.

I agree about the programme, it looks right, well shot, but I thought they could have made more of the actual fighting that led to us falling and the shock this would cause us actually losing and how psychologically different groups within us reacted.

As for your saying you would like to think we had that tribal thing about us and would fight. I agree.

I remember on holiday years ago speaking to an old guy about us. He wondered why, as being four separate countries, we managed to be one.

I told him we are like four brothers living at home. Four mouthy, strong, pains in the arse, driving our mother mad. Arguing with each other, slagging each other and at times scrapping with each other.

But when one is attacked or threatened, then you are fighting us all. After we knock fuck out of whoever that may be, we go back to arguing, slagging and having the odd scrap again but know if any are in trouble we all are, but not as much as the cunts who attack us.

He got it.

Haha like it, good analogy.

If he talked properly and not like the voice over from master chef, then we might have been able to hear him better.

I thought it was "OK" and found myself wondering what would have been the reaction had they screened this on June 22nd last year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.