SSN - Short-form Analysis of Our Defensive Performances

I'm surprised Bravo doesn't get blamed for the queues outside the ground and the shit weather.
@aguero93:20

I haven't been blaming Bravo, although I do think his performances have generally been well below his standard. And I've repeatedly made the point that while the metrics seem to suggest a lot of our defensive issues are down to goalkeeping performances there is no evidence that replacing Bravo or Willy with a "shot stopper" would improve outcomes.

I shared the article and findings more to dispel the notion that Pep's system was inherently flawed for Premier League application (i.e. it didn't matter if we had De Boer, Moore, Maldini, Cafu, and Buffon in their prime, we'd still leak goals).

@aguero93:20

I haven't been blaming Bravo, although I do think his performances have generally been well below his standard. And I've repeatedly made the point that while the metrics seem to suggest a lot of our defensive issues are down to goalkeeping performances there is no evidence that replacing Bravo or Willy with a "shot stopper" would improve outcomes.

I shared the article and findings more to dispel the notion that Pep's system was inherently flawed for Premier League application (i.e. it didn't matter if we had De Boer, Moore, Maldini, Cafu, and Buffon in their prime, we'd still leak goals).
Don't agree, quicker and fitter full backs will shut off the inside channels and that's where we're conceding everything.

The media appear to only concentrate on our defensive frailties , and totally ignore our scintillating attacking play when they should be congratulating our club on the entertainment we provide , the Monaco match was probably the game of the tournament up to date. If all teams played like PEG's it would be a very boring results driven game . but as the sun appears to shine out of Maureens arsehole it must be the right way , pinning all his hopes on a 36 year old pensioner who will be looking for another payday next season ,or alternatively you could buy the best young talent in europe and south america and look at your long term prospects. PEG is a short term sticking plaster manager , he never manages a club long enough to develop a cold . Pep is planning his champs league campaigns for the next decade.

Don't agree, quicker and fitter full backs will shut off the inside channels and that's where we're conceding everything.
I never said I don't think we can improve our back four (and I've advocated for signing/promoting better fullbacks for about three years now) so I'm not sure where you disagree with me. The expected goals and save percentage metrics, especially compared with the other top six sides, do suggest that it may not be down to the fullbacks, though. At least, not primarily. The only thing that could work to that argument is that probabilities used for calculating expected goals are highly inaccurate (which could be the case but, given Opta have put quite a lot of many prominent club's money in to developing that analytics service, I am not sure it is especially likely).

Pep on if he'll sign a new goalkeeper: "I will decide about that at the end of the season. I trust a lot in both and we’ll decide..."

I never said I don't think we can improve our back four (and I've advocated for signing/promoting better fullbacks for about three years now) so I'm not sure where you disagree with me. The expected goals and save percentage metrics, especially compared with the other top six sides, do suggest that it may not be down to the fullbacks, though. At least, not primarily. The only thing that could work to that argument is that probabilities used for calculating expected goals are highly inaccurate (which could be the case but, given Opta have put quite a lot of many prominent club's money in to developing that analytics service, I am not sure it is especially likely).
Yet again, can't agree, inside channels are the most dangerous on the attack and we're marking them with ageing and slow fullbacks. I've a feeling we'll revisit this conversation in my favour before the next new year's eve.

Pep on if he'll sign a new goalkeeper: "I will decide about that at the end of the season. I trust a lot in both and we’ll decide..."

Ha ha well he has to say that as we need them both until the end of the season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.