Stan Bowles

My late gran had Alzheimer's and I echo what everyone else has said.

Stan was certainly a fabulous talent as a player. I was born in the late sixties so don't recall him at City, but the first football season I remember was 1975/6, when QPR came so close to the title and he was the star of that team. Always felt sorry when I found out that he'd been in our youth set-up that he never made it with us. To be fair, I think Joe and Mal realised what a talent he was, and would have liked to have given him more of a go, but just found him pretty much unmanageable.

Anyway, best wishes to him and his loved ones for what lies ahead.

His manager at Carlisle, Ernie Tagg once said of him, "If Stan could pass a bookies as well as he can pass a football, he'd be a very rich man".

Good luck with your battles, Stan.

Last saw him about 15 or 16 years ago in my cousin's funeral. The wake was in a pub in Woodhouses and he was very concerned that there wasnt a bookies nearby. He must have had about 4 cab rides into Failsworth to get his bets on. Great bloke, sad news.

Sad news. I don't envy his family what lies ahead. My mum had Alzheimer's for the last 3 or 4 years of her life, and it's heartbreaking to see someone there who looks like your loved one, but no longer is that person.

Exactly the same with my mum, it's so sad for Stan and his family. Stan had a wonderful talent that never fully blossomed because of his off-field issues but he was great to watch at his best.

Remember seeing Stan score twice on his first team debut for City.
Was shocked when the club sacked him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.