Stan Bowles

Loved Stan when he was playing, still remember the kippax singing' "Stanley Stanley where's your wife" and him just walking up and shrugging his shoulders, they don't make em like Stan anymore, mores the pity.

So sad to read about Stan's illness but at least he has got a very supportive family and hopefully some funds can be raised to help with his future care.

His league debut for City as an 18 year old was stunning, a 5-2 win at Maine Rd against Sheff Utd in 67/68 where Stan scored twice and from memory had a hand in at least one other goal. His talent and potential stood out even in that title-winning team, it was such a pity that he was so headstrong and didn't listen more to Joe Mercer's advice, we could have won more trophies in the 70s with Stan in a City shirt.

Very sad. The first season I remember is 1975/6 and Bowles was the single biggest reason why that fine QPR side came so close to the title. What a marvellous player he was. Very sad to read of his current condition.

As you say, his attitude did cost him in terms of honours and recognition. He blew his chance to be part of the Mercer/Allison success at City. He walked out on England when caretaker Joe Mercer subbed him in a British Championshp game to give Frank Worthington a run-out. And, having signed for Forest, he quit them as well because he wouldn't do what Clough told him, which cost him a European Cup medal. But maybe he wouldn't have been the player he was without that 'couldn't give a fuck' streak.

Actually, I heard a long interview on Talksport a while back with Joe Royle, who joined City midway through 1974/5. He said that he didn't fit into the team that well and had a miserable first half season, after which Book tried to cut his losses the following summer. Apparently the club did a deal to buy Stan Bowles from QPR, with Royle going the other way in part-ex. It fell through as Royle wouldn't go to London. Pity - think watching Stan would have been fun.

If anyone has not read his book you need to. One of the funniest reads going.
Moved house 3 years ago and most of my books are still boxed up. Gonna get it from the loft for another read.

Loved Stan when he was playing, still remember the kippax singing' "Stanley Stanley where's your wife" and him just walking up and shrugging his shoulders, they don't make em like Stan anymore, mores the pity.

I was at that game in the Kippax and he pretended to throw the ball at us, he took some hammer that day. A great player who could have achieved a lot more for us but for his gambling and association with the Q S gang meant he was moved on.

If anyone has not read his book you need to. One of the funniest reads going.
Moved house 3 years ago and most of my books are still boxed up. Gonna get it from the loft for another read.
can you remember the name of the book, I would love to read it.

One of my family members is affected by this cruel disease. Thought are with his family.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.