Stephen Hawking RIP

Assaults ON Hawking.
Yes, my mistake with that last part, but he was reported to have been less than an ideal husband to either of his wives, ergo, he was divorced, twice. Take nothing away from what he contributed to science, but he did seem to find (according to several very close friends and relatives ), certain social norms very difficult.

So any evidence to back up the claim that he physically abused anyone?

He was well known for treating people of both sexes with disdain but the post alleges he used physical aggression against women which is completely false and extremely disrespectful.
I never said it was physical; I was referring to the 'treating women with disdain' part. I agree with you and disagree with johnnytapia on that.

Regarding his treatment of staff, of course it is anecdotal evidence, but I've no reason to think that these doctors (one of which was a senior consultant) would all be lying. I don't see why it not being physical should make it any less important or open to condemnation; emotional abuse can be very damaging, and potentially undermining the work and the careers of medical staff equally so.

The Theory of Everything depicts Jane and Stephen’s separation as peaceful and mutual. This is not at all how Jane describes it in her memoir. Mason and her husband accompanied the Hawkings and Jonathan on a vacation to France, where an argument erupted—after years of mounting tension. “Flames of vituperation, hatred, desire for revenge leapt at me from all sides, scorching me to the quick with accusations,” Jane writes. Afterwards, Hawking announced that he was going to live with Mason; during this period Jane says, Hawking “sought to control me, as if I was simply a piece of property.”

Very sad news. He was an inspiration to me, both in my studies and life, and the world was a generally better place for him, which is really all any of us can aspire to. He was not perfect, to be sure, as many that knew him will attest, but he contributed to the advancement of human knowledge and led as an example to people with severe disabilities. His triumphs and shortcomings will (and should be) assessed for many years to come and will hopefully lead to the betterment of humanity.

Stephen-Hawking1-copy.jpg

Last edited:
An ex-gf of mine was a hospital doctor in Cambridge and it was well known that he was a right shit to female care staff and nurses. A few of her colleagues whom I met corroborated this.

On the other side things, I know a few people who have worked at the Cambridge colleges and they have spoken about the 'rumours' that he suffered a fair bit of abuse from is second wife (a nurse, ironically).

None of this should detract from his achievements or his passing away, of course; just wanted to point out that what johnnytapia wasn't inaccurate.
I read something on Facebook today from a friend of a friend saying they knew one of his carers and that they walked out due to his treatment of staff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.