Sterling attacker sentenced to 16 weeks for Racial Assault

It's OK mate, you can have this one. The closest I've come to an affray was looking it up on an online dictionary. :-)

affray
əˈfreɪ/
noun
LAWdated
  1. an instance of group fighting in a public place that disturbs the peace.
    "Lowe was charged with causing an affray"
    synonyms: fight, brawl, battle, engagement, encounter, confrontation, melee, clash, skirmish, scuffle, tussle, fracas, altercation; More
A person is guilty of affray if he uses or threatens unlawful violence towards another and his conduct is such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for his personal safety

Affray would have been appropriate.Perhaps the CPS downgraded it?

It's OK mate, you can have this one. The closest I've come to an affray was looking it up on an online dictionary. :-)

affray
əˈfreɪ/
noun
LAWdated
  1. an instance of group fighting in a public place that disturbs the peace.
    "Lowe was charged with causing an affray"
    synonyms: fight, brawl, battle, engagement, encounter, confrontation, melee, clash, skirmish, scuffle, tussle, fracas, altercation; More
tbf, it’s nearly always used to cover group violence and/or disorder.

A person is guilty of affray if he uses or threatens unlawful violence towards another and his conduct is such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for his personal safety

Affray would have been appropriate.Perhaps the CPS downgraded it?
Yes, I saw the Wiki quote on the internet, however I've always seen charges of affray levelled at persons involved in group fights.

In terms of what happened to Raheem, it seems common assualt was the charge, but upgraded to racially aggravated.

To charge the scrote with the more serious crime of ABH or GBH instead of asssult, would have been highly unlikely because Sterling played against Spurs a few hours later, so no discernable damage was caused.

Either way, I think the punishment was way too lenient considering the dickhead was a Rag with 38 previous charges & 29 previous convictions. He sounds like a typical career criminal.

Heard that one of his previous crimes was petrol bombing someone's house - and in return had his face slashed.

Yes, I saw the Wiki quote on the internet, however I've always seen charges of affray levelled at persons involved in group fights.

In terms of what happened to Raheem, it seems common assualt was the charge, but upgraded to racially aggravated.

To charge the scrote with the more serious crime of ABH or GBH instead of asssult, would have been highly unlikely because Sterling played against Spurs a few hours later, so no discernable damage was caused.

Either way, I think the punishment was way too lenient considering the dickhead was a Rag with 38 previous charges & 29 previous convictions. He sounds like a typical career criminal.
Given his timely guilty plea, the sentence wasn’t too lenient, it was the maximum allowed by law for common assault/battery, give or take a week, notwithstanding the defendant’s recidivism; hence why I wondered why affray wasn’t considered.

Given his timely guilty plea, the sentence wasn’t too lenient, it was the maximum allowed by law for common assault/battery, give or take a week, notwithstanding the defendant’s recidivism; hence why I wondered why affray wasn’t considered.
I think the assault & battery are still to come for him, if you get my drift. Also hoping he gets a good dry bumming for Xmas.... :-)

CPS prefer to go for a charge of assault if there is an identifiable victim rather than a public order offence

CPS prefer to go for a charge of assault if there is an identifiable victim rather than a public order offence
I'm well aware of that, but the prosecutor could add a count of affray at court and the court could then send it up, especially in a non-DV case. Dropping a case needs permission from the CPS, adding a charge can generally be done off the prosecutor's own back. Depends on what his/her instructions were and how big his/her bollocks were, I guess. A charge should generally reflect the offending to the maximum extent allowable. There's plenty of s18s that end up as s47s, and occasionally less.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.