Stockport County

Going to school at a time when County were above us and suddenly being surrounded by lifelong Stockport fans and hordes of champions league winning United fans, I never thought I would utter these words but I hope they can turn it around and sort themselves out.

Thought this thread was going to be about them going bankrupt and out of business. Disappointed

Don't really get the hate for the Hatters. I used to go watch them friday night and then see City on the saturday. Hardly their fault we were crap and I'm sure they weren't the only set of fans laughing at our misfortune. It's unlikely but I'd like to see them back in the league. They did brilliantly to get to the old second division and if I remember right a league cup semi. We should remember football isn't just for the benefit of the "big" clubs and their fans.

Me neither - County opened the way back for me into watching City (not supporting, just going to games) - took the kids when they were little on the freeby primary school tickets and and graduated to S/T's at City. The quality-time-with-daughter "sell" worked perfectly with the wife...

I'm a typical massive Citeh fan, in that I was born (no longer live) in Stockport and I used to watch County every now and again on a Friday night.
I also remember back in the 70's when County were totally on their arse, applying every season for re election (no relegation from the 4th division then) and being absolutely skint, so skint that City sent their first team down to Edgeley Park TWICE to play Stockport in friendlies so they could get some money through the gate

Roll on twenty odd years later and County are doing very well in the second tier, holding their own and we are struggling like fuck in the same division
I went to watch County with my two brothers and a friend on Boxing day 1997. City were away at Crewe.
At half time when reading out half time scores from around the country, the compare screeched " and in the relegation battle at Gresty Road, it's Crewe 1 Manchester CITY NIL" and he whipped the crowd up into the biggest cheer of the day
All that went through my head was, you fucking short term memory twats.
And from that day fuck em

I'm a typical massive Citeh fan, in that I was born (no longer live) in Stockport and I used to watch County every now and again on a Friday night.
I also remember back in the 70's when County were totally on their arse, applying every season for re election (no relegation from the 4th division then) and being absolutely skint, so skint that City sent their first team down to Edgeley Park TWICE to play Stockport in friendlies so they could get some money through the gate

Roll on twenty odd years later and County are doing very well in the second tier, holding their own and we are struggling like fuck in the same division
I went to watch County with my two brothers and a friend on Boxing day 1997. City were away at Crewe.
At half time when reading out half time scores from around the country, the compare screeched " and in the relegation battle at Gresty Road, it's Crewe 1 Manchester CITY NIL" and he whipped the crowd up into the biggest cheer of the day
All that went through my head was, you fucking short term memory twats.
And from that day fuck em
My feelings about Stockport county are slightly more mixed. Being a life long Stockport blue like your good self county were very definely my second team. I went down to Wembley in 92 (city were never going there in those days!) and I always looked for their scores after city's (and united's!) New year 1994 I watched a match at edgeley park when city were away at Newcastle; noted a few rag and dipper shirts in the crowd and was shocked when a small cheer erupted when the stadium announcer said that city were losing at half time (or full time, I am not quite sure). To his credit he said there was no need for that, but the idea of an anti-city county support did not sit easy with me and I never went to that stadium again. When they went 3 nil up against us in 97 I felt a mixture of despair, humour and a slight feeling of happiness for my local team. The return fixture which we won resulted in county fans ringing up the local radio station claiming we had cheated, now these fu*kers were starting to piss me off. Since then we have gone from strength to strength into the kind of club our supporters deserve and they have dropped down into the kind of club some (not all I hasten to add) of their supporters deserved. A lot of their bigger crowds in the 90s were local people who supported bigger teams and d*ckheads who didn't appreciate that. I am sure that there is a solid hardcore following them now and I wish them all the best in their endeavours to stay solvent and get out of the non-leagues, but my second team now? F*ck off!!!

Don't really get the hate for the Hatters. I used to go watch them friday night and then see City on the saturday. Hardly their fault we were crap and I'm sure they weren't the only set of fans laughing at our misfortune. It's unlikely but I'd like to see them back in the league. They did brilliantly to get to the old second division and if I remember right a league cup semi. We should remember football isn't just for the benefit of the "big" clubs and their fans.

Me neither. Seems a bit petty to me, tbh.

Apart from all the friendlies we used to play them in didnt we virtualy give them 50 odd gran once when we singed William"Bill" Williams from them then give him back for free i week or so later

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.