Stories and songs from 08/09 season

The song of that season was unquestionably "Istanbul, Istanbul we are coming, we are coming at the end of May". My most memorable away day was the trip to Shalke where a large contingient of blues had a whale of a time when it was all still a novelty.

Another thing I remember...the first home game of the season which I think was West Ham. Hughes was manager but there was no sign of any takeover. I sat with my Dad as the game kicked off and he was looking around the stadium, really upset, saying "This is a disaster" because it was a shockingly poor crowd for a first game of the season. That's been forgotten about...we are were in real danger of stagnating like a Leeds of a Sheff Wednesday because we were skint, with a big cost base, huge debt and rapidly shrinking fan base.

Another thing I remember...the first home game of the season which I think was West Ham. Hughes was manager but there was no sign of any takeover. I sat with my Dad as the game kicked off and he was looking around the stadium, really upset, saying "This is a disaster" because it was a shockingly poor crowd for a first game of the season. That's been forgotten about...we are were in real danger of stagnating like a Leeds of a Sheff Wednesday because we were skint, with a big cost base, huge debt and rapidly shrinking fan base.

that was a true Emptihad that day.

Can some one remind me why we played at Barnsley, why wasn't say Bolton chosen ? It has to be one of the most difficult 'local' grounds to get to.

Loved this season, highs and lows but so much drama. Hamburg game probs best game atmosphere I’ve witnessed, closely followed by the semi vs the rags

It was an odd season. The takeover and feel good factor coupled with clueless having us in the bottom 3 by Christmas.

Jo was fecking useless, Ireland played like he was on steroids for 5 months, Robinho destroyed Stoke and starred in a demolition of Arsenal as we failed to beat shite like West Brom. There was a game where a Pigeon was the most exciting thing to sing about on the pitch, I think a fox on the roof also. It's about the last time I remember seeing the "B of the bang" sculpture outside the stadium.

Most of that October to February seemed to be fucking freezing and dark, the season felt the same especially around December and January. Hamburg was electric, I was in CB L3 and every fucker around me was passing tins around and fucked off their faces jumping about near the top, a real end to end match.

For some reason though, looking back, I fondly remember most of that shite. I fucking hated Hughes. The best song for me was the invisible man for Glauber Berti. He was a pantomime sideshow at times hhaha

I'll think you find thats because he actually was.....

The return of Shauny Wright Wright Wright
Just before the take over with 2 goals at Sunderland

Read a little bit in the Sunday paper on the way up to that saying that Shinawatra had sold to a 'mega-wealthy' UAE consortium.......carried on supping the latte thinking it was probably a Rodney Marsh type take-over.........and here we are........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.