Summer Transfers

Again it depends on what you want in a CB. Granted he seems like he'd be a good for for our philosophy.

This season there are multiple defenders I'll take over Bonucci.

Including
Van Dijk
Kolcieny
Alderwereld
Ramos
Pique
Marqhuinos
Sockratis
Godin
Fazio
Hummels
Javi Martinez
Hubner
Chiriches
Perrin

Just to name a few CBs having far superior seasons to Bonnuci. And that also includes the often deemed Overrated Thiago Silva.

The point here is this, Bonnuci isn't having an exceptional season at Juventuss himself.

Although Bonucci's status as a top CB has skyrocketed since Pep's complimentary comments about him last year. It should be noted that Pep is often extremely complimentary of players he likes. This doesn't automatically make them special.

I keep asking folks to point in the direction of a dominant Bonucci game. Where he pretty much dominated. I'm still yet to find one.
He is a great touch passer, a defender with the passing range and technique of an an accomplished midfielder. But he is not uniquely outstanding as a defender.

I'd rank him somewhere slightly behind Mustafi/Vertogen as a defender. Good but not special. The passing is special, but no one is going gaga over Vlad Chiriches who actually is a superior passer and probably a better defender.

Unfortunately for Vlad, Pep didn't shower him with an oversized compliment before his team had to play him.

Nothing against Bonnuci, good player, and would probably fit sweetly in our passing out of the back system, but all the talk about bringing leadership and defensive solidity or organizing is just a bit of a stretch if you ask me.
Fazio who played for Spurs? He is fucking dog shit. You've just ruined any credibility your past had.

Again it depends on what you want in a CB. Granted he seems like he'd be a good for for our philosophy.

This season there are multiple defenders I'll take over Bonucci.

Including
Van Dijk
Kolcieny
Alderwereld
Ramos
Pique
Marqhuinos
Sockratis
Godin
Fazio
Hummels
Javi Martinez
Hubner
Chiriches
Perrin

Just to name a few CBs having far superior seasons to Bonnuci. And that also includes the often deemed Overrated Thiago Silva.

The point here is this, Bonnuci isn't having an exceptional season at Juventuss himself.

Although Bonucci's status as a top CB has skyrocketed since Pep's complimentary comments about him last year. It should be noted that Pep is often extremely complimentary of players he likes. This doesn't automatically make them special.

I keep asking folks to point in the direction of a dominant Bonucci game. Where he pretty much dominated. I'm still yet to find one.
He is a great touch passer, a defender with the passing range and technique of an an accomplished midfielder. But he is not uniquely outstanding as a defender.

I'd rank him somewhere slightly behind Mustafi/Vertogen as a defender. Good but not special. The passing is special, but no one is going gaga over Vlad Chiriches who actually is a superior passer and probably a better defender.

Unfortunately for Vlad, Pep didn't shower him with an oversized compliment before his team had to play him.

Nothing against Bonnuci, good player, and would probably fit sweetly in our passing out of the back system, but all the talk about bringing leadership and defensive solidity or organizing is just a bit of a stretch if you ask me.

Okay Vlad's mum.

Fazio who played for Spurs? He is fucking dog shit. You've just ruined any credibility your past had.
Watch him for Roma this season. He has been top notch. He has been dominant for Roma this season. Big, tall, strong lad with very solid technical skills

I agree that Bonucci's defensive ability, alongside the often nebulous concept of leadership, are somewhat overplayed on here.

That said, everyone agrees his passing ability and, perhaps more importantly, his vision are all but unrivalled in the position. He is, in every way, a CB cut from Pep Guardiola cloth and would be a natural fit in our system and squad.

Those expecting defensive contributions beyond Otamendi and Kolarov, arguably both of whom have been unassailable this year, would perhaps be disappointed. But we didn't bring in Stones for his tackles and interceptions, but his play making which is the perfect fit for the style and system we are developing. Possession and pressure are central, which helps ease the defensive burden too.

Bottom line: we're much more likely to target defenders that are better at Pep's game than those that are better at the traditional fundamentals of the position.

I'd have imagined the club would try their hand at Laporte again before another run on Bonucci though.

'Koscielny,Marqhuinhos,Sokratis,Fazio,J.Martinez,
Thiago Silva,Hubner,Chiriches,Perrin'
better than Bonucci.Who else? Adarabioyo?
Humphreys?
Better get off career mode and switch off the PlayStation.

Last edited:
Humphreys?
I forgot Koscielny, add him too.

I agree that Bonucci's defensive ability, alongside the often nebulous concept of leadership, are somewhat overplayed on here.

That said, everyone agrees his passing ability and, perhaps more importantly, his vision are all but unrivalled in the position. He is, in every way, a CB cut from Pep Guardiola cloth and would be a natural fit in our system and squad.

Those expecting defensive contributions beyond Otamendi and Kolarov, arguably both of whom have been unassailable this year, would perhaps be disappointed. But we didn't bring in Stones for his tackles and interceptions, but his play making which is the perfect fit for the style and system we are developing. Possession and pressure are central, which helps ease the defensive burden too.

Bottom line: we're much more likely to target defenders that are better at Pep's game than those that are better at the traditional fundamentals of the position.

I'd have imagined the club would try their hand at Laporte again before another run on Bonucci though.
True. But the cost at age 30 just seems to make the Bonnuci interest unlikely. I do agree he is a lockdown fit for Pep's ideas. And even Pep thinks so. I get that.

I just found it funny that his rise to superstar CB occurred soon after Pep complimented him. Ever since then fans have just ascribed any and every great defender's quality to him.

I truly don't think we are in need of a starting CB. I think we have 3 that are above average and frankly closing in on top end. Rather we just need a 4 guy. Most have chuckled and someone joked that I was his mom, but for my money Vlad Chiriches would be a great value pickup.

Tough, quicker (I.e than our current guys or Bonnuci), and an accomplished ball playing CB. Only downside is that he is not super tall. Don't know how much it would cost bit of look into it if I were the front office.

Humphreys?
Not better oversee. But clearly all better this season.

No Adarabioyo and Humphreys haven't done much of note. The guys listed actually have.

I know we often resort to popularity contests here, we all do, myself included. Bit sometimes the truth is the truth. Notice very few people listed Boateng. 2 years ago Boateng was comfortably considered a top 5 CB. He probably still is, but hasn't played much this season. Hence why he isn't being listed. You can't be one of the best CBs o
In Europe if you are not constantly playing like one.

Just saying. Now this doesn't prove Bonucci won't be perfect for us. Bit lets stop pretending he is what he isn't. I've never watched Bonnuci and thought "boy, that's an amazing CB right there,"

He is more like the building point for Juve. Moves around spraying short passes left and right and every so often sends a Kolarov ball down field. On defense, he is okay. Nothing special

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.