Summer Transfers

Not better oversee. But clearly all better this season.

No Adarabioyo and Humphreys haven't done much of note. The guys listed actually have.

I know we often resort to popularity contests here, we all do, myself included. Bit sometimes the truth is the truth. Notice very few people listed Boateng. 2 years ago Boateng was comfortably considered a top 5 CB. He probably still is, but hasn't played much this season. Hence why he isn't being listed. You can't be one of the best CBs o
In Europe if you are not constantly playing like one.

Just saying. Now this doesn't prove Bonucci won't be perfect for us. Bit lets stop pretending he is what he isn't. I've never watched Bonnuci and thought "boy, that's an amazing CB right there,"

He is more like the building point for Juve. Moves around spraying short passes left and right and every so often sends a Kolarov ball down field. On defense, he is okay. Nothing special
Get what you're saying..His age is a
worry yes,but only CBs in Europe who've been more consistent than LB all season are S.Ramos & Umtiti probably. More question marks around the other 'top' CBs,have their moments but not consistent enough.Easy to not stand out when your team is defensively well drilled in Bonucci's case as Juve is rarely troubled defensively..Only the likes of Keane,Gibson,C.Davies & Reid would stand-out with your logic as they'll probably have more blocks,tackles,aerial duels & interceptions won.
Probably wouldn't even be talking about Ramos if not for the huge goals he's scored for RM..Lacks the 'pace' yes but the best CBs don't rely on pace to bail them out cause positioning does..LB is good at it.Understand Pep's obsession with a 'libero' profile in his defence to asisst in beating the now-common press..He is not perfect but he is arguably the best libero in Europe.Has played in a back 4 most of this season btw,so the '3 at the back only' thing is comical.Would enable us to peg back teams the more as teams will look to curb his long-passing..We'll often be on the front foot thus less pressure on our defence.Would be the leader in the defence too,no not in being the most vocal but in being the most experienced in there.Not trying to force him down your throat and convince you otherwise as he is clearly not your preferred CB but making him look like he isn't easily a top 5 CB in football is laughable...

Get what you're saying..His age
Trust me I'm pro ball playing CBs. Been whinning about it for years. And you couldn't find a bigger John Stones proponent. So Bonnuci epitomizes the type of player I like.
But here are my biases:

I don't like aging players. Years I know its less relevant for CBs and GKs. Still.

However more worrisome is the league he is in, the Italian league. He doesn't stand out as a defender playing in that league. And i think its significantly easier to succeed there. The game is played at a slower pace, andthere are very few teams who press.

Federico Fazio is dominant there right now and Bonnuci is so so. Those who know Gazio from his time in this league will find that funny.

I'm also wary about his physicality. I've seen multiple strikers push him around easily. And every time it happens I wince. Zapata just ragdolled him a few weeks ago. Most of the strikers in the Prem fall into 2 categories, they are either very physical or very fast. Technical strikers like Kane are the abberation.

Bonnuci sometimes struggles with speed and physicality. I'm sure he'll see more of that here than he does there. How would he respond? I don't know.

So yeah, outside of reputation he has been no where close to a top 5 CB this season. He probably not top 5 in the Italian league this season. That probably would be Chiellini, Fazio, Caldara, Miranda and Koulibaly.

Nice technical player, LB is. But he hasn't been a special or a standout CB this season.

Again the most apt comparison would be for someone to conclude John Stones was a top 5 CB last year for Everton. He wasn't.

This doesn't mean he won't be great for us though. But I just don't think he is special. And he'll be 30 already, so you can see why I'm not so excited.

It's a relatively decent list, but Fabio is nowhere near good enough.
I agree he isn't. Or wasn't. But he has been one of the best CB in Italy this year. Been great for Roma. And to be fair, I was simply talking about this season. He has been better than Bonnuci.

I agree he isn't. Or wasn't. But he has been one of the best CB in Italy this year. Been great for Roma. And to be fair, I was simply talking about this season. He has been better than Bonnuci.
To be fair, I'd argue that the reason Bonucci hasn't been at his usual standard is purely because he and Allegri have fallen out. I see Bonucci as very attainable this summer, particularly if Allegri stays.

With who specifically?

We'll you've mentioned 2 spurs rejects, a defender who struggles to start for Brazil, Koscielny who'll be lucky to make it into the France squad for the world cup, sokratis who's part of a shit Dortmund defence, Hubner and Perrin who most on here has probably never heard off and hummels who struggles whenever he faces a fast winger/striker

Take your pick

Trust me I'm pro ball playing CBs. Been whinning about it for years. And you couldn't find a bigger John Stones proponent. So Bonnuci epitomizes the type of player I like.
But here are my biases:

I don't like aging players. Years I know its less relevant for CBs and GKs. Still.

However more worrisome is the league he is in, the Italian league. He doesn't stand out as a defender playing in that league. And i think its significantly easier to succeed there. The game is played at a slower pace, andthere are very few teams who press.

Federico Fazio is dominant there right now and Bonnuci is so so. Those who know Gazio from his time in this league will find that funny.

I'm also wary about his physicality. I've seen multiple strikers push him around easily. And every time it happens I wince. Zapata just ragdolled him a few weeks ago. Most of the strikers in the Prem fall into 2 categories, they are either very physical or very fast. Technical strikers like Kane are the abberation.

Bonnuci sometimes struggles with speed and physicality. I'm sure he'll see more of that here than he does there. How would he respond? I don't know.

So yeah, outside of reputation he has been no where close to a top 5 CB this season. He probably not top 5 in the Italian league this season. That probably would be Chiellini, Fazio, Caldara, Miranda and Koulibaly.

Nice technical player, LB is. But he hasn't been a special or a standout CB this season.

Again the most apt comparison would be for someone to conclude John Stones was a top 5 CB last year for Everton. He wasn't.

This doesn't mean he won't be great for us though. But I just don't think he is special. And he'll be 30 already, so you can see why I'm not so excited.
Say all this yet you suggest 31 year old (32 at the start of next season) Loïc Perrin who plays in the French league.

We'll you've mentioned 2 spurs rejects, a defender who struggles to start for Brazil, Koscielny who'll be lucky to make it into the France squad for the world cup, sokratis who's part of a shit Dortmund defence, Hubner and Perrin who most on here has probably never heard off and hummels who struggles whenever he faces a fast winger/striker

Take your pick
So you are arguing reputation and not performance then.

I was discussing performances this season. So I don't think its particularly relevant whether people had heard of them.

I bet most on this site didn't know Mbappe or Bernado Silva before the season started. This however doesn't mean these guys haven't had better seasons than a slew of well known players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.