Sunderland's sensory room for autistic fans lauded as ‘absolutely incredible’

Malty

Sunderland’s sensory room, built for fans on the autism spectrum, has been described as “absolutely incredible”.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football...-absolutely-incredible_sto5105807/story.shtml

Do City have anything like this? would be good for us to introduce this as Autism affects millions of people, and it's growing.. will one day become as common as asthma IMO, as I believe everyone has a little bit of autism in them (some people are just a bit OCD about cleaning for example) like cancer, but it varies on degrees and is more difficult for some people than others.

I saw programme, really good idea at Sunderland.

Earlier this season I took my 13 year autistic neighbour Mathew to a game. Matt was brought up a rag by his dad but everytime I saw Matt id say "you a blue yet mat, the future is City". I must of said this a dozen times, and I asked same question and Matt said "err yes I am, I'm sick of United!". I asked if he wanted to come and watch the blues and his face lit up, "yes please, i'll ask my dad."
His dad told me that he didn't fancy Matt going to a game, said he doesn't like large crowds. Unknowing at the time that Matt was autistic, I thought It was because he couldn't bear his son going to watch the blues.

Anyway, Matt knocked on my door and said his dad said was ok, so I took him to the game. Bought him some food and drinks and a scarf and Matt really enjoyed the game and seeing us win. Really pleased that he's now hooked on the blues, good lad Matt. : )

Earlier this season I took my 13 year autistic neighbour Mathew to a game. Matt was brought up a rag by his dad but everytime I saw Matt id say "you a blue yet mat, the future is City". I must of said this a dozen times, and I asked same question and Matt said "err yes I am, I'm sick of United!". I asked if he wanted to come and watch the blues and his face lit up, "yes please, i'll ask my dad."
His dad told me that he didn't fancy Matt going to a game, said he doesn't like large crowds. Unknowing at the time that Matt was autistic, I thought It was because he couldn't bear his son going to watch the blues.

Anyway, Matt knocked on my door and said his dad said was ok, so I took him to the game. Bought him some food and drinks and a scarf and Matt really enjoyed the game and seeing us win. Really pleased that he's now hooked on the blues, good lad Matt. : )

They were talking about this on Radio Manchester the day after the Sunderland game. It sounds absolutely brilliant for fans who are on the autistic spectrum but wouldn't be able to attend a game and sit amongst the crowd. I'm sure city could do something similar.

I had to leave early in the League Cup final in 2014, my eldest has Aspergers. It was all too much for him, maybe if Wembley had one we would of seen City lift the cup instead of hearing the news on a service station on the M1! Well done Sunderland!

Large crowds, noise etc can be really daunting for people on the spectrum. Ear defenders are a good idea. Well done for taking him!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.