Taking my Nephew to his 1st Game

enjoy it, as the chap said earlier you can just walk in with him and sit him on your knee.

Back in the dark days (the This! chaps are now 13 and 10) I took them from newborn back when we sat right next to the away fans. The eldest was born just after the last game at Maine Road but from the open day at the etihad in a papoose through to now they've been going.

Their first games were magical experiences, despite spending much of the time in the disabled loo changing nappies! I seem to recall one game we beat neverton 3-1 (I think?) and we missed all the goals...

Indoctrination on to the straight and narrow was essential then, though not so much now!

It's 4 years old and under doesn't require a ticket. You will have to walk through the turnstile with them which can be a tight squeeze.

I personally never ask how old the child is as you can normally tell, but some of my colleagues will pull you on it. If you have a birth certificate or a passport for him then would be worth bringing it along just incase anyone does question it.

Who knows, it might be me on the turnstile anyway.

Hope he has a great day

You'd have to be a bit of a miserable, jobsworth sod to ID a kid to establish if he's 4 or 5! That said, it wouldn't surprise me with some of the stewards at City.

enjoy it, as the chap said earlier you can just walk in with him and sit him on your knee.

Back in the dark days (the This! chaps are now 13 and 10) I took them from newborn back when we sat right next to the away fans. The eldest was born just after the last game at Maine Road but from the open day at the etihad in a papoose through to now they've been going.

Their first games were magical experiences, despite spending much of the time in the disabled loo changing nappies! I seem to recall one game we beat neverton 3-1 (I think?) and we missed all the goals...

Indoctrination on to the straight and narrow was essential then, though not so much now!

My dad, his granddad hasn't been great of late (health wise) so I think he is looking forward to being able to take his grandson to his 1st ever match.

You'd have to be a bit of a miserable, jobsworth sod to ID a kid to establish if he's 4 or 5! That said, it wouldn't surprise me with some of the stewards at City.

Was thinking the same @Ric

Got away with taking my grandson up till his 7th birthday till they put a new lady steward on our turnstile, right jobsworth even stopped a bloke taking a bunch of flowers in one day

Got away with taking my grandson up till his 7th birthday till they put a new lady steward on our turnstile, right jobsworth even stopped a bloke taking a bunch of flowers in one day

My dad had the pleasure of watching four grandsons become regular Blues, a pleasure denied to me so far.

With the help of the internet I have just worked out my elder son was four year and six days when he watched from my shoulders on the old Kippax against Forest. But he was football mad before that, getting excited every time 'Nessum Dorma' was played as Italia 90 came on when he was a few weeks off his third birthday. Now he gets yellow cards on here - I wonder where he got that from?

Passing the love of your football club onto your offspring is a fantastic feeling, especially when you see them get that Aguero!!!!!!!!! moment after all those bad times you have put them through.

306 had a great steward right from the opening of the Etihad who knew all his customers and welcomed us every match. Now we seem to get different ones although all are OK . I wonder if they have changed the system and move them around each match?

Kids do tend to get bored, and 2 hours is a fair length of time for them, but start 'em young I say!
I expect the whole anticipation to be better than the actual match at 4 years old, but there's nothing better than seeing father / son, granddad / grandchild, uncle / nephew going to the match together. You're making memories that'll last a lifetime!

Last edited:
I was 3 when my dad first took me to Maine Road.

I was more interested in the seats, than what was going on, on the pitch. It was the 84/85 season though and much has changed since.

I was 3 when my dad first took me to Maine Road.

I was more interested in the seats, than what was going on, on the pitch. It was the 84/85 season though and much has changed since.
Many of our fans are still interested in the seats now! it's become a bit of an obsession trying to count how many empty ones there are (or aren't)!
You can remember it at 3 years old? fantastic stuff that!

Many of our fans are still interested in the seats now! it's become a bit of an obsession trying to count how many empty ones there are (or aren't)!
You can remember it at 3 years old? fantastic stuff that!

Not vividly, but my dad reminds me about it every now and again.

Kids do tend to get bored, and 2 hours is a fair length of time for them, but start 'em young I say!
I expect the whole anticipation to be better than the actual match at 4 years old, but there's nothing better than seeing father / son, granddad / grandchild, uncle / nephew going to the match together. You're making memories that'll last a lifetime!

I need my sons to help me with my fading memories of past matches! They do forget when it is their round though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.