Talksport

I used to love the post-match Swales out demos. All gathered round the entrance. Anyone remember a night game where we all had a candle (sound a bit Liverpool now)? The guy over the tannoy was almost in tears asking for us to stop lighting them.

The fan's were really held in utter contempt in those days. I remember one such protest and some fair haired bloke in glasses ( Niven? ) looked out of a window in disgust and closed the curtains, infuriated the crowd even more. The police horses were a bit OTT as well.

Couldn't agree more, spent many pre and post match shouting obscenities towards Swales and his precariously balanced shredded wheat of a wig. Must admit that although despising the lying old cnut I did stop short of visiting his mother in her care home to give her some shit as well. Does anyone know whether that was just more Swales lies, or did it happen. I was always sceptical as to how a bunch of blues would feel that strongly that they'd sneek into an old folks home, actually know who his mother was and then proceed to blame her because her comb over fashioning son employed John Maddocks, who sacked Peter Reid, replaced him with Brian Horton and spent a fortune on Alan Kernaghan.
I think it was Bernard Halfords mum, not Swales
They didn't actually give her any shit, just chatted,
But even so, that was out of order.

No it was definitely alleged that City fan's had visited Swales mother in the home, nothing to do with Halfords.

If your sure, I know it put me off the forward with franny campaign.

I am sure. Swales had to go and should have done years prior to the time he did. I am not sure if it was ever proven this event took place but it was pretty unanimous that if it did it was bang out of order.

I always thought Bernard Halford was okay. He was a proper blue and IIRC he turned out at few supporters club meetings as a guest speaker.

I know he was under the Swales regime, but I don't think he could be blamed for the amateurish way the club was run, it was pretty much a dictatorship during that era. Swales surrounded himself with directors who were old cronies who wouldn't rock the boat, with the Freddie Pye and Stephen Boler showing about as much interest in the club as i do when clothes shopping with the wife.

I used to love the post-match Swales out demos. All gathered round the entrance. Anyone remember a night game where we all had a candle (sound a bit Liverpool now)? The guy over the tannoy was almost in tears asking for us to stop lighting them.
Yes I do recall that - but not which game.
I remember some director or Swales stooge - must have been Maddocks - in the MEN asking us not to do it because the person next to you could work in a garage and has come straight from work and could have a bit of oil on his clothing, which if touched by a candle flame could set him on fire.....

The funny thing about it, is at first there were just a handful of candles lit, very few.... but as soon as the tannoy announcement comes out to ask not to do it, up go hundreds of candles! If they had left it alone nothing much would have happened!

Last edited:
I always thought Bernard Halford was okay. He was a proper blue and IIRC he turned out at few supporters club meetings as a guest speaker.

I know he was under the Swales regime, but I don't think he could be blamed for the amateurish way the club was run, it was pretty much a dictatorship during that era. Swales surrounded himself with directors who were old cronies who wouldn't rock the boat, with the Freddie Pye and Stephen Boler showing about as much interest in the club as i do when clothes shopping with the wife.
Bernard halford was a decent guy but as you say, part of the regime.
I'm positive his mum was in a care home in Chadderton.
but I've slept since and the memories left on my pillow, will have gone through the wash at least twice...

Bernard halford was a decent guy but as you say, part of the regime.
I'm positive his mum was in a care home in Chadderton.
but I've slept since and the memories left on my pillow, will have gone through the wash at least twice...

I do sometimes miss the old times, I think the lean times made us the supporters we are today. I doubt blues of a certain generation will ever lose that humble approach or adopt that arrogance of the vermin and the red dippers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.