Term time holidays

Cheesy

So, the Supreme Court has ruled against the bloke who mounted a legal challenge against his fine for taking his daughter out of school to go on holiday.

Great news for several reasons.

Taking kids out of school is disruptive to everyone else, kids and teachers. If there's a green light given to do it, every fucker will and it would cause chaos. It's the parents choice to have kids, they know the score when they do have them so un-fucking-lucky, you'll just have to pay more for your holiday.

Most importantly, I take my holidays out of school term time just so as I can avoid my break being ruined by the little shits :-)

I'm on board with your last paragraph OP.

However, if every day counts there are 2 glaring points, why do teachers have inset/training days when they could be part of the school holidays this saving the time a kid could miss for a few days away anyway.

I'm on board with your last paragraph OP.

However, if every day counts there are 2 glaring points, why do teachers have inset/training days when they could be part of the school holidays this saving the time a kid could miss for a few days away anyway.
The INSET/training days are part of the school holidays
Children are expected to attend school for 380 sessions, when the training days were introduced by Ken Baker, known as Baker days when brought in, they were taken from the teachers' holiday and not an addition to the children's allocation

Inset days are normally.a.first day back after the holiday period though, yes student aren't in but it still a day lost that could be in the holidays.
Saying that if you are bringing teachers on on their holidays when do they take them.

We could use the french or german method of staggered holidays by region to keep the traffic levels low and holiday travel and accomdation prices low.

Last edited:
No sympathy, kids get 13 weeks holiday a year, surely you can arrange a holiday during that period!?

Cost

I've just done a very quick comparison on Easy Jet flights Manchester -Alicante return

Two weeks before summer hols, dep 8th July, cost per person £142.00 return

First Saturday of the summer holiday. dep 22nd July, cost £289.00 return

So if the local authority are fining each parent £60 per child and the family has two school age kids, that's £120.00

The saving on flights for the family is nearly £600.00

Cost

I've just done a very quick comparison on Easy Jet flights Manchester -Alicante return

Two weeks before summer hols, dep 8th July, cost per person £142.00 return

First Saturday of the summer holiday. dep 22nd July, cost £289.00 return

So if the local authority are fining each parent £60 per child and the family has two school age kids, that's £120.00

The saving on flights for the family is nearly £600.00

I can admit holidays are costly around the summer, but surely a holiday during the Easter period isn't as much as that?

Tired of this same old debate. Baker days are taken out of holidays. The kids are off but teachers have to go in they DO NOT come off term time.

Holiday companies are a business and therefore charge more during busy periods. They have to attract people into their holidays during 'quiet' times because they still have aircraft and hotels to pay for and therefore the holidays are cheaper.

The only way around it is to spread school holidays out throughout the year but most people want the summer and so holidays will still be dearer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.