Thatcher's State Funeral

SWP's back said:
Mike N said:
Jelly and ice cream!
I'm saving mine for Scargill.

<Slaps forehead in amazement>

I agree.

With hindsight Maggie was a truly great Prime Minister. I wonder how much is down to gender discrimination.

She was spot on about the EEC, ERM, EU and probably also the single currency.

Skashion said:
pauldominic said:
She was spot on about the EEC, ERM, EU and probably also the single currency.
Apart from signing the Single European Act...

Politics is sometimes about choosing the lesser of two evils.

To all the people who despise or hate her, please explain why.

glen quagmire said:
Don't get giddy, since you are so well versed on the subject, within a couple of minutes of THIS post, can you tell me why she is a "wicked old hag"?

Perhaps I am 'getting giddy', but it might be an idea not to be so patronising towards people just because they're young.

In my honest opinion, she tore the country apart with her individualist policies - the idea of a 'nanny state' and 'too much government intervention'. I have no doubt that there is some truth in the conventional idea that people can't be arsed to work and they would rather live off benefits, but at the same time there are people that do need help from the government and I don't think Thatcher was able to see that.

The closure of mines, in my opinion, was more of a personal vendetta than anything else - she knew that the miners had defeated previous Tory governments in the 70s so I'm sure that letting that happen again would be too shameful. And in doing so I'm pretty sure she managed to hit the highest unemployment rates ever at the time - not ideal when you're trying to get a nation to rely less on benefits.

Oh, and she crippled University and School growth after cutting funding to provide for the Criminal Justice system (arguably a failure).

I have, however, just realised that it took me almost 20 minutes to reply to your post so maybe my argument is invalid.

amehh said:
glen quagmire said:
Don't get giddy, since you are so well versed on the subject, within a couple of minutes of THIS post, can you tell me why she is a "wicked old hag"?

Perhaps I am 'getting giddy', but it might be an idea not to be so patronising towards people just because they're young.

In my honest opinion, she tore the country apart with her individualist policies - the idea of a 'nanny state' and 'too much government intervention'. I have no doubt that there is some truth in the conventional idea that people can't be arsed to work and they would rather live off benefits, but at the same time there are people that do need help from the government and I don't think Thatcher was able to see that.

The closure of mines, in my opinion, was more of a personal vendetta than anything else - she knew that the miners had defeated previous Tory governments in the 70s so I'm sure that letting that happen again would be too shameful. And in doing so I'm pretty sure she managed to hit the highest unemployment rates ever at the time - not ideal when you're trying to get a nation to rely less on benefits.

Oh, and she crippled University and School growth after cutting funding to provide for the Criminal Justice system (arguably a failure).

Wikipedia and google are great aren't they? I wish i had them when i was younger. Thanks for the reply.

Skashion said:
pauldominic said:
Well, you need to check your facts then because you've just contradicted yourself.

WELL DONE!
Oh do please explain how. This'll be a good one.

I can't be arsed to argue with you because for some reason you disagree.

in terms of contradiction: -

"Apart from signing the Single European Act... "
"Hows about, erm, not signing it. Wow, what a brain wave."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.