The 8th wonder of the world (@CityKev28)

Eccles Blue

Just a heads up about your favourite motorway bridge the Glass bridge over the M602 at Eccles:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-news/m602-bridge-salford-new-eccles-11610284

You will miss that old bridge won't you CK?

@Salford Paul will as well, he won't recognise the place next time he visits.

As I say, just thought I'd let you know so you don't think you've missed it next time you come over here.

The pupils at the school I'm involved with are doing some work with an artist who has been commissioned to provide some art work for it. We're very proud of them.

@citykev28 I've just driven past the 8th wonder of the world Kev, it is no more, I'm devastated, it is just a shell of its former self. I need to walk over it Kev to see if they have incorporated any of our artwork or if it is finished yet but at the moment it just looks like a silver bullet!!

Oh woe is me...............

I love odd art like that bridge. It was typical turn on, tune in and drop out man 60's stuff.

It's a shame it's gone.

It wasn't pretty, but it always reminded me of brown cars, orange carpets, and Birds Eye frozen potato croquettes.

A simpler and less stressed time when the future was something to look forward to.

A steel mesh dome!

Very sad when you think about it. Elf and safety I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
@citykev28 I've just driven past the 8th wonder of the world Kev, it is no more, I'm devastated, it is just a shell of its former self. I need to walk over it Kev to see if they have incorporated any of our artwork or if it is finished yet but at the moment it just looks like a silver bullet!!

Oh woe is me...............

I've heard about this. I was going to park near Clarendon Road school before United in the league cup and tram it to the swamp until my sister told me it was closed for renovation.

I have to say I'm scared to see it. I haven't been back to Maine Road because I'm scared to look and I feel the same about the beautiful bridge.

I was actually back in mcr last week. I took the missus to the arena to watch Impractical Jokers and stayed in a hotel in town. I absolutely loved

WOW - I've just realised whilst typing this post that I drove right down the M602 on Friday morning and didn't even notice the Glass Bridge! I can't believe it! I've been under it but still don't know what it has turned into.

I didn't see the original thread She, I reckon it's the capital 'C' in the title. I wasn't being ignorant.

Anyway - as I was saying before it dawned on me that I'd been under the Glass Bridge on Friday - I absolutely loved my time in Manchester. Since I left, the place has moved on so much. I felt proud taking my Yorkshire lass around the city centre and telling her stories from when I knocked around in such a great place. Also had a development on the muffin vs barm debate but will keep my powder dry on that one until I have a little more time.

It's very underwhelming in it's latest form,desperately lacking character(and the smell of stale urine....)

Hi Guys,

@FantasyIreland it is like some sort of silver bullet isn't it? With nothing to make it stand out like the former version was. I'm going to find out next week what happened to the paintings/drawings etc that the school pupils did for it.

@citykev28 you see an ex teacher has problems with no capital C for someone's name!! :-) Manchester is a hive of activities these days, my grandchildren keep me up to date. People say I went to such and such a place, oh where's that says I? And when they tell me I'm amazed: places like the old Corn Exchange where I used to work in an office over 50 years ago, St Mary's Parsonage with its beautiful Gardens surrounded by offices on one side and the back of Kendal Milne on the other. I actually started my working life in one of those offices. Now mainly cafes or pubs. Cleaner and brighter now, although bumping into Mike Summerbee and George Best as I went for a lunchtime wander was a perk that not many of them get with the players of today!!

@Fowlers Penalty Miss it is such a shame to see it reduced to nothing more than a grey covered walk over the motorway. As you say, simpler and less stressed times. Ah well, we can but hope that our memories will be enough for now.

And we've still got our football team to keep us going.................. most of the time anyway. :-)

@citykev28 and @FantasyIreland and @Fowlers Penalty Miss ............. hi guys, keep your eyes open for some superb artwork on the arches of the bridge very soon. I've seen the original artwork and I love it and am very proud of the pupils from the school. Very excited about it all now. :-)

Might be another couple of months before it is finished but it will be worth waiting for.

@citykev28 and @FantasyIreland and @Fowlers Penalty Miss ............. hi guys, keep your eyes open for some superb artwork on the arches of the bridge very soon. I've seen the original artwork and I love it and am very proud of the pupils from the school. Very excited about it all now. :-)

Might be another couple of months before it is finished but it will be worth waiting for.
Thanks for the update Sheila,it really is crying out for some inspiration and character because,currently,it's a very sad looking structure and not at all worthy of its iconic predecessor ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.