The Added Time Debate

I would love to know how much time the ball was actually in play in our last 2 games and how that compares to the average for other games this season.

After our winner last night I was thinking timekeepers should add up each sides time waiting- then the team who has wasted the least can decide whether the want to enforce the time on or not. Does it suit them or not. So last night at 90 mins Pep could have just said 'nah mate, that's enough' as we didn't need it.

Like American Football when a flag is thrown but the team don't want it - 'that penalty is declined!'.

My personal view is that the big teams do get more extra time, not as a gift, but simply because the opposition take 10 extra seconds to do everything because they’re looking to hold on.

Every freekick, every throw in, every small knock. Southampton against Huddersfield last night would be looking to get the ball in play quickly and grab a winner. That shift in mentality would mean fewer added minutes.

Edit: Often there’s no major single time consuming event, but the ref knows when the game has slowed right down because of one team because it’s blindingly obvious. The fans also make a bigger deal of it when they’re expected to win the game, which probably helps highlight how frequently it happens as well. I thought 5 was fair last night.
Nailed.

Time wasting has been going on for decades, its nothing new. FA will never sort it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.