The Album Review Club - Week #120 - (page 1413) - The Lexicon of Love - ABC

So it turns out I *have* heard The Screaming Blue Messiahs before...

Back when this album came out, I heard "Smash The Market Place" on my college radio station a good bit back in 1986. Wow, it's been 38 years since I heard that one, but that song is quite unmistakable, and I liked it back then.

Now to figure out if I gave credit to BAD or I realized the band at the time. ;-)

Looking forward to hearing the rest of this album, but good to know I didn't totally miss them back in the day, they just didn't stick like some others.
I've struggled a bit with this because not only was that a track I was familiar with, but I also recalled hearing "Let's Go Down To The Woods" off this album at the time, which I agree was a much better song. So two songs, buried from my past, and I was looking forward to hearing the full album.

After some full listens to the album, the distinct 80's guitars really helped carry songs such as "Wild Blue Yonder", "Twin Cadillac Valentine", and "Clear View", all great tunes.
Other tracks were more of a mixed bag and didn't do as much for me, including the closer.

I can see why mid-80's Bowie loved them: their music was fresh, loud, and for the most part had a raw edge to it. I can hear the BAD and other punk and rockabilly comparisons. They even reminded me a bit of Midnight Oil, and that's what I liked about them at the time.

Still, the weaker tracks that seemed to blend together on the album make this one I'm not sure I'd be listening to as a whole again, as much as I liked their singles at the time. It's a 7/10 for me with nostalgia helping on this the most, and a few songs hearing for the first time I did enjoy.

One thing I do like about TSBM is they, along with a variety of distinguished company, exemplify that you don't need to be The Polyphonic Spree to make a big sound. There is always something particularly impressive about a trio commanding the stage and filling a venue with a glorious noise.

(For the avoidance of doubt, there is no need for the Rush fans to wax lyrical at this point ;-) )

Not my first excursion with TSBM I bought Bikini Red when it first came out and thought it pretty decent at the time. It was a nice trip down memory lane and quite enjoyable to get back into these guys.
Gun Shy is a similar listen to Bikini Red with similar highs and lows. The highs certainly more than compensate for the dodgier tunes. I get the Clash lite comments, more (personally speaking) for the vocals than anything else.
Solid 8/10 for me - and Bikini Red would have been the same score, maybe a 7 for that Flintstone song!!
Great nostalgic pick Fog

One thing I do like about TSBM is they, along with a variety of distinguished company, exemplify that you don't need to be The Polyphonic Spree to make a big sound. There is always something particularly impressive about a trio commanding the stage and filling a venue with a glorious noise.
All true, and ironically a few times while I was out and about with my earbuds on and the album ended, it went right into one from The Waterboys. I quite enjoyed the Big Music on that again!

(For the avoidance of doubt, there is no need for the Rush fans to wax lyrical at this point ;-) )
The trouble with the maples, and they're quite convinced they're right.
They say the oaks are just to lofty, and they grab up all the light!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.