The Album Review Club - Week #124 - (page 1478) The Magical World of the Strands - Michael Head & The Strands

I'll give you I Before E and Tuesday but you are on thin ice with the others and you are away with the fairies with Midnight. I pity your friend Charles having to grow up with such a wrong 'un for a mate.
I spoke to him earlier today and he remembers it differently.

He sat on my head.

Nearly a match - Maths, Physics and Computer Studies for me.
Someday it would be interesting to see what parallel lives we lead, even in different parts of the world as we enjoyed our various genres of music that (sometimes) lines up.

First 2nd language? After 4 years of French it was Pascal. Next?

I spoke to him earlier today and he remembers it differently.

He sat on my head.
I never took you for a farter, tbf. I've hosted so many playlists for you now, my Spotify account is very confused on who I am anymore. We need to have a deep talk about how much I now love The Colour of Spring. That is real. Bravo again for that one.

First 2nd language? After 4 years of French it was Pascal. Next?

Was taught Pascal as a precursor to Ada; no concurrency, no party :-) Though I seem to remember there was a concurrent variant of pascal not to mention Modula-2 which I had on my Atari-ST where I also learnt 68000 assembler and discovered the joys of Midi.

Then mercifully I got (slightly) better at talking to women :-)

On topic, for me Bimbo set a high watermark with The Colour of Spring that mathematically he won't be able to better. I've played the nominated album frequently and recently enough to know this will fall short of that from a scoring perspective but it's still full of quality and there's more than enough wiggle room to score very well and it's certainly winning on nostalgia triggering at the moment.

Last edited:
When we get AI that is powerful enough to accurately predict what Bimbo is going to do next, that's when we need to start crapping ourselves.

It is really not THAT hard.

'He will shit on a nomination with something wildly out but 'amusingly' contrary'. Done.

Here you go. Just for you because they were being mean earlier about you feeling poorly...

I've used the SACS model for genre families. Alt rock (nice broad family) wins the day over more traditional types of rock. Whilst most of the folk is folk rock, I was surprised by how much of it there actually was.
Need more jazz, you're definitely getting some Coltrane at some point.

View attachment 115810

SACS (Spires Arbitrary Categorisation System)

Core rock includes the likes of metal, hard rock, blues rock etc
Alt rock includes punk, post punk, art rock, indie, power pop etc
Americana includes country rock but heartland is in Core rock
Folk is mostly folk rock
Electronica is anything that uses synths properly and that by definition excludes anything with the bastard DX7

(Edited to reinclude the 2 Classical offerings removed from the date ones)

Have we had any Folk? What is folk rock?

It is really not THAT hard.

'He will shit on a nomination with something wildly out but 'amusingly' contrary'. Done.

And ChatGPT is not going to give you that take any time soon, so you/we all are not yet entirely replaceable.

Have we had any Folk? What is folk rock?

See I knew this would happen (and you were always prime suspect ;-)) . It was just to cheer BH up as Mad Eyed Screamer had robbed his coat.

Anyway, you can't question SACS, SACS is just SACS.

But if you must know, Folk included VM Astral Weeks (Folk Rock), Aldous Harding (Indie Folk), Billy Bragg (Folk Rock/Punk) amongst others. Arrrghh, why have I just dug myself a bigger hole....SACS is just SACS.

FFS: Edited to replace Aldous Huxley with Aldous Harding.

Last edited:
See I knew this would happen (and you were always prime suspect ;-)) . It was just to cheer BH up as Mad Eyed Screamer had robbed his coat.

Anyway, you can't question SACS, SACS is just SACS.

But if you must know, Folk included VM Astral Weeks (Folk Rock), Aldous Huxley (Indie Folk), Billy Bragg (Folk Rock/Punk) amongst others. Arrrghh, why have I just dug myself a bigger hole....SACS is just SACS.

SACS? Maer like, ballsacs!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.