The Album Review Club - Week #123 - (page 1446) OK Computer - Radiohead

Side note on personal evolution — since the Some Girls nomination I’ve been going back and listening to a lot more Rolling Stones of late, especially “Exile On Main Street”, which I’ve realized 50+ years after its release is a truly great record. It’s a lot of fun to engage with classics, even much belatedly. Just a note of thanks again to @RobMCFC for continuing this thread and all the regulars here, new and old, for contributing so much music, new and old.

Onto Manchester Orchestra!
On a slider note if I wasn't convinced before I am now that Can't You Hear Me Knocking is their acme point.

Line ball between Exile and Sticky Fingers however because of the above masterpiece of hook and riff SF gets the nod.

Has there been a nomination, that has not seen Radiohead mentioned? Possibly not. Would be fun to find out ;)

Ok, here we go, let’s check out the wiki article on this record and . . . NNNNNOOOOOOO . . .

Hull was influenced by the "minimalist aspect" of Alabama Shakes' 2015 record Sound & Color, as well as the bands Wilco and Radiohead.

You have just reminded me that I meant to have a proper listen to Brittany Howard's latest solo album released earlier in the year.

Ok, here we go, let’s check out the wiki article on this record and . . . NNNNNOOOOOOO . . .

Hull was influenced by the "minimalist aspect" of Alabama Shakes' 2015 record Sound & Color, as well as the bands Wilco and Radiohead.
You know, I almost included mentioning that in my write-up, but I do think there's greater joy in seeing you find that little nugget out there for yourself!

You know, I almost included mentioning that in my write-up, but I do think there's greater joy in seeing you find that little nugget out there for yourself!
TBH I noticed it in the first .0001 second of the record anyhow :)

But two-thirds of the way in, I find modest-at-best influence and definitely not imitation, so it is not clouding my judgment, I promise.

TBH I noticed it in the first .0001 second of the record anyhow :)

But two-thirds of the way in, I find modest-at-best influence and definitely not imitation, so it is not clouding my judgment, I promise.
Andy listened all summer to The Smiths too, and I don't think they sound like them either.

I don't think The Maze is anything like what Radiohead has done either, but I'm open to thoughts there too. ;-)

A Band Don't Come For Free!

I was going to suggest that the nomination of 'those who must not be named' might release Mr Skinner from the bottom of the table but the reality is they would attract a pretty wide variety of scores including some very high ones and would place very respectably. Some of the invective would be entertaining though.

Andy listened all summer to The Smiths too, and I don't think they sound like them either.

I don't think The Maze is anything like what Radiohead has done either, but I'm open to thoughts there too. ;-)
It’s more atmospherics but even then it seems only a vague influence and song structure-wise definitely dissimilar. So far I’ve heard some moments of real beauty on this too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.