The battle for 3rd place

Chelsea didn't need top 4 and look at them!

It's probably telling that the last two league winners (assuming Chelsea do it this season) have not had Champions League distractions. It raises a pertinent question: would you sacrifice top four this season if it meant we won the league next year?

I don't think Champion's League is as prestiges as it once was so I don't mind missing out on that.. but I don't want the club to lose the money it brings.

It's probably telling that the last two league winners (assuming Chelsea do it this season) have not had Champions League distractions. It raises a pertinent question: would you sacrifice top four this season if it meant we won the league next year?
Wed need to finish outside top 6 to get the advantage though. Next season all the contenders will have some european football. It may even go down to seventh.

Yes. League title is most important to me, rather win that than the CL. I know the owner and board don't seem to agree though. Having said that, it doesn't need to be either/or.

It's not that they've not had Champions League distractions, it's that they've had no Europe at all to distract them. We'll be far worse off playing Thursday night rather than Tuesdays and Wednesdays........and we ain't gonna finish lower than 7th to put ourselves in the position Leicester and Chelsea have been in. A level playing field it most certainly hasn't been

The only way to lighten the load is to toss off the domestic cup competitions and play the second string full stop, great grounding for the youth players (if they ever make the first team squad that is)

Something has to give if we are to realise the dream that our owners desire-the CL.

i would always sacrifice the champs league for the prem league.....our owners and manager think differently however

We would need a collapse as thurs night football would hinder us even more so ..

Absolutely not Ric, that luxury simply does not exist for City. I would tell you to check Guardiola's views on the issue (he's made it clear repeatedly), but you don't have to, it's really common sense. Since the upgrade of European competitions in the early 90s it's a completely different ball game. Nowadays you establish yourself in the world's football elite through the CL -which is a fact, hardly debatable. Even if / when you win it, it will not be enough, you need to be up there consistently, create a history. Build a tradition, build a status -which will have to be confirmed again and again, every single year. At the same time, familiarity with competing at top European level will help you develop a personality (which City currently lack). Which will increase your confidence and help you win matches, even when you underperform. Not to mention, through European success you will be able to penetrate fan bases worldwide, approach various sources of money, and so on, and so on, and so on...

The CL is a significant part of City's strategy, and believe me, there cannot be any other way. The answer to your question is simple: build a squad with the necessary quality and depth. So that you will be able to compete effectively on both fronts. That is what we got wrong this season, I've been saying this since my first post here. With this squad our ambitions would be limited one way or the other. That's the truth...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.