The Beach Boys

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IanBishopsHaircut, 8 Jan 2018.

1. 2nd best us band after Steely Dan imo, love em.

2. INDEEDY DEEDY

INDEEDY DEEDY

Beach Boys were one of my favourite groups back in the day. Saw them at the Odeon, Oxford Road in 1966. Brian Wilson is surely one of the all time greats and was light years ahead of other song writers. My youngest son is 31 and last year he really got into the Beach Boys, continually playing the Pet Sounds album. They are still performing but I think Mike Love is the only original member who is part of the current set up.

3. Ancient Citizen

Ancient Citizen

One of my favourite Beach Boys tracks, the bloke on the beach in the first shot is a dead ringer
    for me...

4. Deepest Blue

Deepest Blue

The current situation is that Mike and Bruce Johnson (almost an original) play in the band who use the Beach Boys name whilst Brian Wilson has Al Jardine in his band. Dennis and Carl Wilson are sadly no longer with us.

5. IanBishopsHaircut

IanBishopsHaircut

Reprobate
  6. laserblue

laserblue

I was there too. Know nowts were saying that they wouldn't be able to reproduce their surf sound live on stage but they were brilliant.

7. Saddleworth2

Saddleworth2

Brian Wilson is one of very few living musical genius. He is gifted beyond belief. Pet Sounds is top ten albums ever, on a par with anything the Beatles produced imo.

8. Ancient Citizen

Ancient Citizen

I think McArtney said that Pet Sounds was his favourite ever Album. Having said that, 'Back In The USSR'
    was a brilliant reposte to 'California Girls.'

9. Ancient Citizen

Ancient Citizen

With the current time of year obsessions in full flood, I just couldn't resist this cracker again...

10. Saddleworth2

Saddleworth2

Yeah, they bounced off each other. I think Rubber Soul inspired Wilson to write Pet Sounds which in turn had a huge influence on Sgt Pepper. Wilson’s response was Surfs Up which because of his breakdown didn’t see the light for many years. It still contains some of his most beautiful work though. The melody, harmonies and lyrics on the track ‘surfs up’ would make the angels weep with joy.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2018