The Beatles through the years...

I wouldn't call the early stuff crap, it was of it's time. But the later stuff is timeless and I can't imagine there will ever be a band as prolific as they were - with long-lasting effect.

Staying on topic, can I point you to my mate's website, there's some good stuff about The Beatles: http://thejournalix.com/tag/the-beatles/

The social media feeds are good value too.
Yeah timeless indeed

Pepper was no1 again 50 years after its release

Amazing !

If 11 consecutive no.1 singles in the UK including 'She loves you', 'I want to hold your hand', 'I feel fine', 'Day Tripper', 'We can work it out', A hard day's night', A ticket to ride' and 'Help', some of the catchiest choons ever written, not to mention occupying the no.1 slot in the album's chart for 51 of the 52 weeks of 1963 is evidence of their crapness, then yeh they were crap alright!
Oh and they were always on drugs, right back to October 1960 when they shovelled down Preludin tablets by the bucketload to get them through their arduous 8 hours a night, 7 days a week, 3 month stint in Hamburg.
The greatest band ever by an epic margin, from start to finish

And so say all of us:)

Fair enough. It'd be a dull old world if everyone liked a cracking melody ;-)
64e7ac70236a2e1f041e1033d73401d1eb343a6a.jpg

For me every album was brilliant
The singles and even B sides too

Yup. It genuinely astonishes me when people say they don't rate them and I marvel at what it is they might not like. Melodies too tuneful, harmonies too sharp, guitar licks and hooks too catchy, arrangements too well judged, innovation too imaginative? They were exponentially greater than the sum of their parts, they drove their times, they were prolific beyond all reasonableness, they were incredibly diverse, just a fantastic band

Yup. It genuinely astonishes me when people say they don't rate them and I marvel at what it is they might not like. Melodies too tuneful, harmonies too sharp, guitar licks and hooks too catchy, arrangements too well judged, innovation too imaginative? They were exponentially greater than the sum of their parts, they drove their times, they were prolific beyond all reasonableness, they were incredibly diverse, just a fantastic band
Have a listen to Love - Forever Changes. Released the same year as Sgt Peppers but light years ahead. It made Lennon & McCartney's efforts sound like nursery rhymes.
The White Album is a classic but a lot of their other stuff does not stand the test of time

Love the Beatles. The reason I learned to play guitar.

Revolver is my favourite album but I like them all. An amazing canon of work. 12 albums in 7 years.

If 11 consecutive no.1 singles in the UK including 'She loves you', 'I want to hold your hand', 'I feel fine', 'Day Tripper', 'We can work it out', A hard day's night', A ticket to ride' and 'Help', some of the catchiest choons ever written, not to mention occupying the no.1 slot in the album's chart for 51 of the 52 weeks of 1963 is evidence of their crapness, then yeh they were crap alright!
Oh and they were always on drugs, right back to October 1960 when they shovelled down Preludin tablets by the bucketload to get them through their arduous 8 hours a night, 7 days a week, 3 month stint in Hamburg.
The greatest band ever by an epic margin, from start to finish
Nothing as ever come close to The Beatles and never will.

Have a listen to Love - Forever Changes. Released the same year as Sgt Peppers but light years ahead. It made Lennon & McCartney's efforts sound like nursery rhymes.
The White Album is a classic but a lot of their other stuff does not stand the test of time
Loves album has been a favourite of mine too since 1968 when I first heard it.
Great though it is it didn't have the mass appeal of Revolver or even Rubber Soul and Love couldn't conjur up album after album like the Beatles did.
Bryan McLean wrote 2 great songs on the album, but that was it, like most bands they couldn't keep churning out great melody like lennon mccartney.
I think introspective songs like Norwegian Wood, Strawberry Fields or Nowhere Man could easily stand up to Arthur Lee's thoughtful songs but the Beatles had comersialism as well......Beatles had it all, psych, ballads, heavy rock, folk, c&w, music hall, Blues And big anthems (like the Hey Jude coda all us City fans like to sing) even children's songs....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.