The best Red wine.

So I'm trying the Barolo. It's ok, but I do think you guys need to try the Trivento Golden Reserve Malbec!!! Not just the Trivento, but the golden reserve version.

Will work my way through all those mentioned.

Trouble with Barolo mate is that it's intrinsically expensive stuff (for reasons I know not why), so to sell it for £10 - £15 a bottle, the supermarkets have to sell you the worst crap available. More often than not, I've found a £12 Barolo to be borderline undrinkable. The same goes for Brunello di Montalcino (aka Brunello), and (to a lesser extent) Amarone. (And Ribero del Duero on the same theme.) These are all wines that come into their own at a higher price point than most supermarkets want to sell at.

Spend £25+ on a Barolo and they start to get very good. At £50+ they can be amazing, but it's a long time since I dropped £50 on a bottle of wine.

For £10 ish, you're better off with a worse wine, if you know what I mean. A Valpolicella Ripasso, for example.

Trouble with Barolo mate is that it's intrinsically expensive stuff (for reasons I know not why), so to sell it for £10 - £15 a bottle, the supermarkets have to sell you the worst crap available. More often than not, I've found a £12 Barolo to be borderline undrinkable. The same goes for Brunello di Montalcino (aka Brunello), and (to a lesser extent) Amarone. (And Ribero del Duero on the same theme.) These are all wines that come into their own at a higher price point than most supermarkets want to sell at.

Spend £25+ on a Barolo and they start to get very good. At £50+ they can be amazing, but it's a long time since I dropped £50 on a bottle of wine.

For £10 ish, you're better off with a worse wine, if you know what I mean. A Valpolicella Ripasso, for example.
It was a Tesco finest, so I thought it would be decent enough. I'll keep an eye out for a £25 version. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a Tesco finest, so I thought it would be decent enough. I'll keep an eye out for a £25 version. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't hold out much hope for the Tesco stuff mate (sorry - and hope to be proved wrong). Ascheri and Fontanafredda are decent Barolo producers in the £25 to £35 range.

But then again, at that price you can get some spectacular Italian wines - if Italian is your thing (it is mine!).

You can get a very decent bottle of Taurasi - from Campagna in Italy, made from 100% Aglianico grapes grown on the volcanic soil surrounding mt Vesuvius, which imho knocks the stuffing out of any Barolo in this price range:

http://www.mastroberardino.com/en/radici-taurasi-docg-vino-rosso/

And if you can find it anywhere, the "Refosco dal peduncolo rosso" from La Viarte is made from the fairly unusual Refosco grape and is indescribably delicious.

http://www.laviarte.it/en/refosco.php

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.